To Lakeville - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2021

To Lakeville

<<Snake alert!>>

I thought this was going to be a longer post, but it isn’t because now it’s the day after and we’ve ended the tour and are visiting Vance and Laurie.  We don’t want to be aloof, remote guests, so this is a rush job.  Riding-wise, the big story is the Harlem Valley Rail Trail, which is even better than the trail we biked down the Hoosic River two days back.  Life-wise, the big story is that we finally got to meet up with CycleBlazer Bob Distelburg, whose we first came in touch with over on Cycle365 where he goes as BobinVT.  We’ve been in communication for several years, but there’s no replacing meeting face to face.  Bob biked up to meet us from Amenia, where he’s been staying for the last week.  We rode together for several miles and then stopped in at an outdoor cafe in Millerton for a relaxed, extended visit.  A real highlight of the tour!

Leaving Great Barrington, heading west toward the New York border.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A last look at the Berkshires before we go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful country near the Massachusetts/Connecticut/New York border.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Crossing the divide. The New York border is just around the bend.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I have no idea what this place on the outskirts of Hillsdale is. Impressive though. It’s at the end of School Road, so perhaps there’s a hint.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bob DistelbergThis place has intrigued me whenever I go by. It's for sale, so I think somebody should buy it and convert into a hotel.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergWe discussed the fact that it’s for sale, but I’m really too old to take on a fixer upper.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Southbound at the northern entrance to the Harlem Valley Rail Trail (HVRT).
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the HVRT, a trail with striking diversity. Some stretches are your classic tunnel of green. That’s Rocky making her break way out there, btw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view west.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Other stretches are wild and overgrown.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This section bridges across a broad marshy wetland, an expansion of Webatuck Creek.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the HVRT.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the HVRT.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Snake! This one is just sunning on the path, waiting either to get crushed or be scooted out of harm’s way.
Heart 1 Comment 5
Bill Shaneyfelt
And it is even alive!

Garter snakes are always neat to find! Some just do not want to leave the nice warm pavement. Temperament is highly variable, from totally serene to hissy, striking, flattening, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_garter_snake
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYup. Definitely alive. I was worried for him at first, because when I nudged him he didn’t react at all. Once he mobilized though he looked just fine. And no tread marks on his back, always. Good sign.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanI'm wondering why there was no warning there were snake photos coming up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanHey, there was a warning up there at the top. Sorry I forgot on a previous snake post though. Hope you’ve recovered from the shock.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonOh, so sorry. I missed the warning! My fault. Good job to warn people. Probably most people read more closely than I do.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Along the HVRT.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yes, I know they’re an invasive species. Still pretty though.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I can’t stand it! Rachael got to see a snapping turtle just walking on the path. I got to see two snakes on the path though, and she didn’t. Snakes are cool too.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like a hatchling. Most are more than willing to give a demonstration of why they are called snapping turtles!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snapping_turtle
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanThese things are way more scary and dangerous than garter snakes but for some reason I'm all right without a warning that a snapping turtle photo was coming up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The HVRT is full of surprises today. It’s BobinVT!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWow, another Cycleblazer for your list! I just counted how many I have. So far I have met seven cyclists from that other site in person: Bill Weir we met in Thailand, three times I think, Laura Roberts I met at the Munich airport, Maun and David Alston in Münster and Munich, Joe Trudo in Munich, Joff Summerfield (penny farthing cyclist) in southrn Thailand and Chris Lee (from Singapore) in Sukhotai. Some were planned, some were serendipity. Hoping for more encounters.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonVery respectable! With luck you’ll be nearing the double figures before long.

I’ve never compiled a list before now, but so far we’re up to 10 bikers and teams, unless I’ve forgotten someone. It’s easier for us of course because so many are in our own back yards. Bruce and Andrea, the Grumbys, the Grampies, Anne and Dave Mathers, Keith and Kathleen Klassen, Jacquie and Al Gaudet, Greg Garceau, Bob Distelberg, Kelly Iniguez, Eva and Al Walters. I think that’s it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Second breakfast in Millerton, with Bob Distelberg. Actually most of the second breakfasts have already been dispensed with and we’ve moved on to the hops and malt course.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnI've been waiting for this moment!

So glad you were able to meet up with Bob!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob is riding his new Salsa Fargo today. A beautiful bike.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Radius envy.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jen RahnRadius Envy
Salsa versus Bike Friday ...
Is bigger better?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnSmall is beautiful!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ready to roll, outside the old Millerton train depot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Like the sign says. Last state!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A Connecticut silo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Connecticut.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Video sound track: The Best is Yet to Come, by Grover Washington, Jr.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 33 miles, 1,000’; for the tour: 2,536 miles, 80,900’

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 2,536 miles (4,081 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonLove both videos! It's been an inspiring trip so far, you have covered so much ground, can you really believe you are where you are now? And if really the best is yet to come, that's going to be fantastic.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks! If COVID isn’t an issue, I’m sure it will be the best and we get to meet the 2 of you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago