A Perfect Day - Riding the Inn in Austria - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2019

A Perfect Day

Rietz to Landeck

Friday November 15, 2019
Somehow I never finished my journal. I wasn't writing while on the road, but had every intention of posting the journal soon after we got home. That was about three months ago - and I have still to write the final chapter. What were the obstacles that kept me from writing? Was I so busy, was it the usual writers block? I think it was something else, but I'll get around to that later. Now back to sunny August.

In retrospect I don't remember much about the day. I could repeat some of what I had written about the previous days: it was sunny, but not too warm, the sky was a fantastic blue, we had stunning mountain scenery to either side, the paths were excellent. And it got more interesting than the bike path had been on the previous days, with short sections that were narrower or rougher and a bit steeper, following streams and further away from signs of civilization, i.e. cars. These were also the parts of the trail where I didn't want to get off my bike for pictures, there wasn't really room to stop. Since it was Sunday, there were also a few more cyclists out than we had seen so far, but not so many that it was a problem.

Not much more to say so let's get on with the picture gallery.

Setting out on a bright morning from our hotel with its traditional Tirolean wood balconies and flowers. The location was perfect and we didn't have far to go to get back on the bike path.
Heart 3 Comment 0
To the left of the road almost immediately we see the two striking onion domes of the Cistercian monastery Stift Stams. The monastery was founded in 1273 under Count Meinhard II of Gorizia. Between 1650 and 1750, the Romanesque church was rebuilt in Baroque style, complying with the taste of the times. Today it houses various schools and colleges.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Janos has quite a cockpit on his handlebars. His newest acquisition is the Osmo Pocket.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A tiny chapel in the mountains ... that we did not cycle up to.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Always the beautiful mountains as a backdrop
Heart 5 Comment 0
Crops where it's flat enough to grow anything
Heart 2 Comment 0
Getting away from the open valley now
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Inn is now bluer and wilder than when we first saw it at the start of our trip.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Scenic roads
Heart 3 Comment 0
There's that Inn again.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe water is beautiful! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Easy riding on perfect paths
Heart 1 Comment 0
The last bit of the day is across open meadows, perhaps my favorite part of the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I love it here.
Heart 8 Comment 0
We are almost in Landeck but it's too early to check in so we relax on a bench with this beautiful view of the Inn.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Nine years ago, in our pre-ebike days, we were in Landeck and on our way to the Reschenpass. On that trip we had taken the train and not cycled from Munich as we did this time. Strange how arriving by bike makes everything looks so different. I hardly recognized the place. Or perhaps I wouldn't recognize anything after nine years? At any rate, we were looking forward to repeating the lovely ride into Italy and beyond.

We haven't gone on bike trips too often in August and are surprised - and dismayed - to see that accommodation in the high season is more expensive than we anticipated and last minute booking doesn't leave you a lot of choice. Nevertheless, we found accommodation for the following two nights, admittedly a bit pricey, and felt happy knowing that we would have rooms waiting for us at the end of the day.

And now what you have been waiting for - Janos's video. Much too much of me pedaling away, sorry about that! Just look at the mountains or fast forward or something. Janos wasn't about to work on another edit after doing such a good job synchronizing the music. Music credits are at the end.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 246 km (153 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonYou’re right, Suzanne. The photos are nice enough, but we really live for the video. Great sound track too. Go, Janos!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamSo glad you are completing your journal Suzanne The video, I love it as it makes me relive our ride there and certainly makes me feel determined that this years ride wont be our last
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Gregory GarceauAs a big fan of mountain scenery, your Perfect Day definitely passed my "Amazing Beauty" test. You must have had a good reason for the delay in posting, because if I had been lucky enough and skilled enough to take those pictures they would have been on the internet within minutes of finishing the ride. An enthusiastic "well done" to both you and Janos.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonYes, the video is the highpoint and has to come at the end, right?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamThat is good to hear, Tricia! I am sure that wasn't your last ride.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauThanks, Greg! But if the scenery is good enough, the pictures can't turn out bad.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rachael AndersonGlad to have you finish the journal. Great video and fabulous pictures.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael Anderson:)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago