Rain in Landeck - Riding the Inn in Austria - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2019

Rain in Landeck

We woke up to rain. It had been predicted but we hoped against hope that it wouldn't rain, or maybe not much, say, just a drizzle, anything that would make riding our bikes an option. But it was pouring. The next days were going to be more of the same. Great, the best of the trip, mountain views hidden in the clouds. Beautiful downhill ride from Reschen Pass with rain in our faces. Then the expensive hotels, for what? No, we decided no, we are going home. This was also the last convenient place to get a train back to Munich. It seemed an obvious decision, a sensible decision, the only right decision.

But it left us feeling miserable. We knew earlier on, when we were younger, we would have just continued. In fact we had many fond and happy memories of cycling in the rain, overcoming obstacles and feeling strong. Now we had the feeling that we were giving up, taking the easy way out, preparing for the end of our bicycle touring days. And it is true that that day is getting closer, it is invevitable. This day when we decided to get on the train sent that message home.

Looking back, I think we were getting a little dramatic about it. Of  course we can still tour. Of course we don't have to ride for days on end in the rain to prove it to ourselves. That was not the end of the world, not even the end of our touring days, I'm sure.

One last picture ...

Protected from the rain, Janos is checking his smartphone for the best route to the train station.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonDoesn’t his camera work in the rain? Where’s the video? We’re so disappointed!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonThe Osmo really isn't waterproof, not that Janos was going to take any pictures anyway.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The train ride home went smoothly. We had two changes of trains, all trains roll ons from the platform, no stairs - what more could you ask for.

In the meantime, we are riding our bikes, keeping in shape for the next season.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rachael AndersonNot wanting to ride in the rain doesn’t mean the end of touring! If it did I’d be in trouble. I figure we’ve done plenty of cycling in the rain, we’ve earned good weather. You, too!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonThanks for the encouraging words, Rachael!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonIt looks like the sensible decision to me, Suzanne. I think being miserable is so overrated. Mostly on reading this I feel so envious of you Europeans and your rich, efficient train networks.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamI know the feeling about wondering whether your touring days are over It is only because of your encouragement Suzanne that this year we continued on the Alpe Adria and didnt turn back seeking canals and river valleys. As you read in our journal it was no problem at all and we just loved it. perhaps next year you will train to Landeck and then have that magnificent ride the rest of the way - the ride from the pass is such a reward after the hills
Tricia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonYes, we're usually thankful for the trains. Although as you know, train-and-bike can be pretty harrowing, too.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamWe're looking forward to it already!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago