Chiang Rai to Baan Huai So - To Begin Again - CycleBlaze

December 14, 2022

Chiang Rai to Baan Huai So

We hadn't been on our bikes for any sort of longish ride in many days so we were excited about getting back in the saddle.  We were on the road by 7AM and into Chiang Rai rush hour traffic which was mostly going in the opposite direction as we were.   It seemed as though the city had a strong gravitational force pulling a steady stream of cars and trucks into it and we, heading in the opposite direction, had broken free.  The more miles we peddled, the freer we felt.  

At a stop light leaving Chiang Rai I looked down to find two 1Baht coins embedded in the tar. In Thailand you can't point your feet at anyone and you certainly can't use your foot to dislodge money because the image of the king is on the coins. When you drop a coin and it is spinning you can't stop it from spinning by stepping on it. It's one of the worst things you can do. So, I was at a light and I didn't have a tool ready to pry out the coins and I couldn't use the toe of my shoe. It killed me to leave behind a few cents!
Heart 6 Comment 0

After about ten miles the traffic had lessened considerably and we were back in the countryside where we are happiest.  It also felt good that the temperature was lower than it had been and we are stronger now too.  And, again, the Thai roads are as smooth as silk.

Our bikes roll so nicely on these typical Thai roads.
Heart 7 Comment 0

About halfway to the guest house we had picked (there were not more than two to choose from) we came across a coffee place way out in the countryside.  It was called Number 8.  It had a pond in the shape of an 8 and the grounds were beautifully landscaped with flowering plants.  A young guy, maybe 18 or 19, was excited that we had stopped.  We got the impression that few people ever stopped.  For one thing, there was little traffic on the road so we were happy to give him some business.  While he made us a couple of mochas we wandered around taking photos of flowers and exclaiming, "Look at this one!  This one is so amazing!  I've never seen this flower before!"  We loved the place.  It was so quiet and peaceful.  Then we discovered the thatch-roofed pavillion hanging out over the pond - a perfect place to enjoy our coffee and take a break.  We had been making exceptionally good time which in turn helped the enjoyment of our break.  It was so nice to just sit there in peace sipping mochas for as long as we wanted.  Why are we so lucky? 

Number 8 coffee house
Heart 7 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauWithout question, Number 8 Coffee House is the coolest coffee shop with the most beautiful setting I have ever seen. That makes it the Number 1 Coffee House in my book.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Gregory GarceauAgree, Number 1. I should have told the owner to change the name to Number 1, and then watch as their brain worked on how to change the shape of the pond.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Number 8 coffee house
Heart 5 Comment 1
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 4
Jen RahnA truly lovely setting!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a gorgeous spot for coffee!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Rachael AndersonOne of the best coffee spots we've ever had. Although, we have had some nice ones in Thailand through the years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
The wood they use for building in Thailand is often recycled because it is hard as nails and doesn't seem to ever rot. This floor doesn't at first appear to be safe but it is such hard beautiful wood that there is no way a foot would go through.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Then we rode another 25 miles to the guest house arriving shortly after noon.  Again, it was a really nice, newish bungalow for a very reasonable price.  Again, pretty much in the middle of nowhere meaning we were not going to get dinner.  But we have been eating so well this entire trip that missing a meal is no big deal and actually desirable. 

We are starting to see karst hills.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Along the way it is always nice to stop at a temple to use their hongnam, literally 'water room'. And, of course, to marvel at the beauty of the temple. They are all different!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Another "love resort", another towel arrangement. This place had the windows so sealed it was pitch black without the lights even with blazing sun outside. Privacy! I think these two towels are depicting male and female birds.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Kristen ArnimYou should learn how to fold towels like that for when you have visitors.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Kristen ArnimThe next time you come visit us I will fold the towels. But I guarantee, they won't look anything like these!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We love these resorts because they are usually out in the country where it is quiet, they are super clean and modern and we can always pull our bikes inside where we don't have to worry one bit.
Heart 7 Comment 0
It seemed that this place did have some sort of restaurant but we sure didn't see it. Interesting things they offered and pretty high prices for those things. I mean, Nuggets for almost $2!! And I've never paid this much for Toong Tong Crispy!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jen RahnI have a clear picture of 'nuggets' in this culture .. chicken nuggets! Mostly fried batter stuff and a little mysterious chicken-like "meat".

What are the components of Thai nuggets? And what do they taste and look like?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Jen RahnWe have no idea what nuggets actually are. One would assume chicken but I sure wouldn't bet any Baht on that. Could be something you would never guess.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Around dusk we wandered around the grounds and heard a loud but muffled crash.  I looked at Andrea and said, "That's a vehicle crash and it's very nearby."  We went out to the road to see what we could see but cars, motorbikes and trucks whizzed past all going way too fast and not paying any attention to a possible crash just around the bend.  Maybe I had been wrong in my guessing it was a vehicle crash and maybe it was a farmer doing something with a tractor.  With the failing light and high speeds of traffic we determined it to be too dangerous to walk down to see if in fact there had been an accident.  We just hoped it had been something else that had made the sound.  I'm not sure how we could have helped anyway and best to leave it to people who could help.  I certainly am of no use to help injured people.  

We walked back to our bungalow, read some news on our computers and went to bed early excited about riding to Chiang Khong in the morning.  We hadn't ever planned on going to Chiang Khong this trip but when we decided to, there was nothing that was going to deter us either.  It truly is one of our very most favorite places in Thailand.

At the beginning of our trip I needed some toothpaste. Not able to read Thai I just grabbed some Colgate thinking, 'What could go wrong?' Well, this is SALT toothpaste! I used it though. I went to bed thirsty every night! I've never had incredibly salty toothpaste before. Why? Why?
Heart 2 Comment 0

lovebruce

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 602 miles (969 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a wonderful day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago