Baan Huai So to Chiang Khong - To Begin Again - CycleBlaze

December 15, 2022

Baan Huai So to Chiang Khong

 c

Heart 5 Comment 0

Not having far to go we waited until it was light outside - 7:30AM - before we started riding.  No more than 100 meters down the road we saw it - the scene of the accident I was fairly certain I heard at dusk the night before.  The vehicle had been removed but a large chunk of a cement block wall was broken and pushed inward.  Stuff from the vehicle was strewn all over the place.  And there were bloody latex gloves lying about, left by the paramedics no doubt.  The path of travel meant that the vehicle took an abrupt, nearly 90 degree turn and directly into the wall.  I had seen a vehicle go past our guest house at dusk moments before I heard the crash and I remember it going quite fast.  But to take such an abrupt turn must have meant that the driver possibly fell asleep or passed out from alcohol, which is common in Thailand.  It's possible that he veered to avoid hitting a motorbike or something else but it's more probable that he was drunk and lost control.  Often farm workers will start drinking at the end of the day's work, still out in their fields, and when it's getting dark they drive home drunk. 

Heart 2 Comment 2
Josh HisleyThis was a tough one to read. Stay safe out there guys.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Josh HisleyThank you, Josh. We do everything we can to stay safe like never riding at dusk and if we ride at dawn we attach lights. But we try to ride only during the mornings and it's best if we find a hotel by noon or 1PM. We also try to stay off the roads on weekends because there is more drinking then. We stay off big, fast roads as much as we can too. My panniers are blazing yellow as is my helmet. All of these precautions help.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Funny that there had been no sirens.  The reason we didn't walk down to see if it had really been an accident that I had heard was because cars, trucks and motorbikes continued to fly by on the road right after the accident.  That makes me wonder if Thais simply don't ever stop to help but leave it to the medical professionals.  It was an ugly scene and left me with some ugly questions that I won't find answers to.  There are a lot of single vehicle crashes here.  I hope the driver is all right.  I look at the scene and I think about how easily we, on our bikes, could be in the path of a similar out-of-control vehicle.  We know of three cyclists who have been killed this way in Thailand.  

Other than seeing the crash scene, it was a perfect day to ride a bike in northern Thailand.  The temperature was the coolest yet and there was cloud cover.  Because it has now been a few days since any rain fell, people are catching up on their burning which is about a month late due to all the wet weather.  The distant hills were shrouded in a blue haze.  The smoke will only get thicker from now on unless it rains again or a tremendous wind blows all the smoke somewhere else.  Neither of those prospects are likely in normal winters here in northern Thailand.  

Heart 6 Comment 0
Nice roads in Thailand.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Water buffalo are so cute.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanTo Rachael AndersonFor being such enormous animals they are super cautious and timid. These two wouldn't take their eyes off me for some minutes.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It's basket weaving season in northern Thailand. Since the number of consecutive rice crops grown in northern Thailand is fewer than in the south there is a lull in the winter and the farmers have time to weave baskets and do other crafts as well. This is why there has always been an arts and crafts thing going on in northern Thailand.
Heart 10 Comment 0

We only were cycling around 20 miles to one of our most favorite towns in Thailand - Chiang Khong - situated overlooking the Mekong River.  All we needed to do was ride some fairly flat roads, stop to marvel at a few temples,  continue the squashed snake count, maybe stop for some noodle soup and ride into the typical Thai town where tourism has still not caught on very much.  

I remember this temple from a previous trip but the big recliner is a new addition.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 2
Jen RahnIf I were that Reclining Buddha I would be pretty jazzed about that sun/rain protection.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Jen RahnI know Buddhas and that is a smile on this one's face.

The reclining pose depicts the last days or moments of the Buddha's life. With that in mind, I'm not quite sure why he needed a big expensive roof.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0

And that's what we did.  We leisurely rolled into town just before noon.  We went directly to the guest house overlooking the Mekong that we have stayed at many times in the past, Baan Rimtaling.  The guest house is an old hippie type place: all wood, funky, old and lacking modern conveniences like refrigerators in the rooms.  But in a way it's kind of fun to go back in time and experience the same things we experienced 22 years ago in most hotels in S.E. Asia.  One of the main reasons we put up with the near camping experience of Baan Rimtaling is because the view of the Mekong is fantastic and I love the Mekong River more than any other river in the world.   Across the river is the ever enlarging Lao town, Huay Xai.  Big and little colorful wooden boats constantly motor up and down and across the Mekong.  Always something to watch on the Mekong.

Across from Chiang Khong is Huay Xai, Laos. This is where Lao Immigration used to be. It was so quaint to take a little boat across the Mekong to the tiny little office. Now Lao Immigration is miles downstream at the new Friendship Bridge No. 4.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
The Thai Navy has quite a presence on these parts of the Mekong due to lots of drug running from Laos. Meth and opium are produced in great quantity in Myanmar and it all easily goes over the border to Laos and then again easily comes across the Mekong to Thailand. The Thai Navy doesn't want people wandering down to their boats.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The other reason we love returning is because the owner of the guest house, Maleewan, is a super friendly character.  Maleewan speaks English perfectly and is a wealth of information and strong beliefs.  We love her.  Maleewan's interests are cooking, baking, brewing the best coffee beans and traveling and she seems to have little interest in spending much money on fixing up her guest house.  As long as we can get bunglow #2, or the one above it with an even better view, we are happy to be at Baan Rimtaling.  Her rooms are cheap as well.  There are loads of really nice new modern hotels lining the bank of the river but they can be quite expensive.  Besides, funk fits us better.

Maleewan was in Chiang Rai when we arrived at her guest house and the maid, not wanting to deal with tourists, immediately called Maleewan and handed the phone to us.   I told Maleewan we were Bruce and Andrea, not really thinking that she would remember us, sight unseen.   She said, "Boof?" trying to place me.  I told her she would remember us when she returned in the evening.  We worked out which room we could move into and that the one we really wanted would be available in another day.  

After we dropped our panniers in our room we rode our bikes all the way to the other end of the main street excited to see our old haunts - what was new and what was gone. The fancy coffee place, Cafe de Lao, was still there so, of course, we had to stop to celebrate making it all the way to the Mekong.  Chiang Khong is a smallish town but is more than two miles long and just a few blocks wide because it takes advantage of the river views.  A block off main street on the river banks are loads of hotels, restaurants, temples and homes and in recent years a beautiful walkway and bikeway have been built along the river.   Things change quickly in Thailand so a few places were gone and some looked slightly changed and then, of course, there were the new places and the temples which seem to have been more dazzleaffied.  A  promenade had been built a few years ago but it too had been modified - widened in places in a really nice way.  

Cafe de Lao
Heart 7 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonI love your beautiful smile. That must be really good coffee!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonYes, on both counts, and I also like the latte art on Bruce's.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Steve Miller/GrampiesCafe de Lao in Chiang Khong is a classy place. They always include a little cookie with the coffee. One of those glass containers has raw coconut sugar. Included with mine was a Chinese tea chaser, standard with hot coffees. They also had desserts at Cafe de Lao but Thai desserts leave a lot to be desired. Mostly they are just cake with frostings.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The best improvement for us was the new bike lane.  Both the walkways and bike lanes stretch for more than two miles right along the river complete with three little bridges over streams.  It's the best design of a promenade that I've seen in Thailand.  We rode from the northernmost end downstream to the other end where work is continuing to extend the promenade and bikeway probably all the way, another two miles, to Thai Immigration at the Friendship Bridge to Laos.  

Heart 5 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great bike lane!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekMaybe she doesn't like the bike lane
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Maleewan's guest house is very much like camping and nowhere near 'glamping'.  But there are so many other nice attributes to the place that we still love it.  It's a billion Baht view from the dining area and everyone who stays becomes like family with Maleewan at the head of the table.  It's hard to get disappointed if she doesn't fix the place up, it is what it is and Maleewan is one of a kind.  It's nice to be back.  

This was food we got from trays at the Thursday evening Walking Street very near to Baan Rimtaling Guest House. The food is put in plastic bags and we brought it back to our guest house. We were also allowed to put the food in the guest house's bowls and use their microwave to heat it up. We normally don't have such luxury.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Baan Rimtaling's dining area overlooking the Mekong River and Laos on the other side.
Heart 8 Comment 1
The view across the Mekong from Maleewan's guest house. This is the type of boat you can take for two days downstream to the World Heritage town of Luang Prabang, Laos.
Heart 8 Comment 0
One of our favorite rooms at Baan Rimtaling.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This room has the most beautiful deck to eat breakfast. It's the perfect place for early morning sunshine.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Josh HisleyThat looks like a great spot! Does the fan do the trick?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Josh HisleyThe temperature has changed drastically and it is downright cold at night now. No need for the fan or air conditioning. We are so happy with the change!! It got down as low as 48 one night but now it's back to about 62 at night. 79 or 80 during the day. Never any rain in the winter. Perfect!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

lovebruce

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 623 miles (1,003 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Gregory GarceauYour journal has me convinced--Thailand is one beautiful country. The people are wonderful too. And when it comes to the use of gold paint, Thailand is unsurpassed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful place!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Rachael AndersonBaan Rimtaling Guest House is a special place made even more special by the owner, Maleewan. Everyone who stays there feels how special it is. The best $10 room we have had on this trip. Maleewan will cook anything for you if you don't want to go out to a restaurant and her cooking is really good. There always seems to be an interesting cast of characters staying there too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Gregory GarceauOverall in the region, Thailand can't be beat. The people are sweet, generous and happy - always ready to help travelers.

I try and try to tell Andrea it is solid gold and not just gold paint but she doesn't believe me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Victa CalvoBruce,
I too stayed at Baan Rimtaling on my one trip to Chiang Kong! I couldn't agree more, Chiang Khong, the Mekong, the guesthouse and especially Maleewan are fantastic. It's one of my favourite places in Thailand.

This journal just keeps getting better and better ...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanThank you so much, Victor.

Yes, Maleewan is the best and her guest house is just perfect for us. She gave us a bag with two bao when we left. So thoughtful. They were a nice treat along the way. I'm so glad you also experienced her and her guest house. I was unaware of that.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Chris WeeCongratulations on reaching Chiang Khong and enjoy the Thai winter. We followed the Mekong the opposite way from Phu Chi Fa to Mae Sai and Chiang Rai in 2019.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Chris WeeI was thinking how lucky we were to be going south. If we had approached the Phu Chi Fa area from the south, going north, we wouldn't have made it. Coming off the mountain we dropped very steeply for a long way, sometimes 16%! We were so happy we were going down.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago