A Chiang Khong Gallery - To Begin Again - CycleBlaze

December 15, 2022 to December 21, 2022

A Chiang Khong Gallery

During our several day stay in Chiang Khong, interrupted by a visa-run to Laos, we basically chilled out at Baan Rimtaling Guest House.  We went to town and found delicious food but the food was so good at Baan Rimtaling that we didn't ever have to leave.  It was nice to meet other travelers and have that sort of experience instead of riding our bikes every day.  There was a wonderful feeling of community among the guests staying at Baan Rimtaling and that feeling was supported by the owner, Maleewan, who speaks perfect English and is a wealth of information as well as the ability to make everyone feel comfortable.  It's a small guest house with a big wonderful feeling of family togetherness.  It's a place to connect.  I think most guests feel this.

We also had nice evening walks along the best promenade in Thailand overlooking the always interesting Mekong River and its river traffic.

So, we had a nice relaxing time in Chiang Khong, as you can see.

I want these flavors in The States. No, we haven't tried these, yet.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnHot Chili Squid!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Just hanging out by the Mekong much like we've been doing.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our room at Baan Rimtaliing.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking downstream.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekWow, that looks peaceful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Chinese thought the area around the big new bridge to Laos and Thai Immigration would become a booming place. It seems like it quickly became a ghetto instead. It's far from the town of Chiang Khong.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekYeah, that looks like a grim place. What a contrast to the other photos!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Years ago I would watch people washing noodles in the Mekong at this spot. They were in buckets just like these. I have no idea if this procedure still goes on but the buckets are still there!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekDid you go down there and wash your noodle?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We've had this style of grass alongside us for hundreds of miles now. They are a friendly sort, waving at us in the breezes. Some are a bit more showy, tinged with red. They can't help showing off.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Every Friday the Hmong have a market in Chiang Khong. Usually they sell big knives and such so we were amazed to see all this finery for sale. There was LOTS of it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
These are collar pieces, since I don't know the real term for them. They get sewed on the back collar of women's jackets on New Year's Day and are then worn for one year. All the Hmong clothes get changed on New Year's Day. The collar pieces were always sewn/embroidered/appliquéd by hand, until now. Now, it seems, they are all machine made since sewing devices can be computer programmed. It's kind of sad but a lot of old women's eyes have been saved. They are still quite striking.
Heart 7 Comment 0
We were quite amazed that none of this intricate work is done by hand anymore. I guess that's why there was so much of it at the Friday Hmong Market in Chiang Khong.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lots and lots of Hmong clothing doodads.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnDoodad!

There's an underused/ underappreciated word.

These colorful clothing doodads are lovely!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Friday Hmong Market in Chiang Khong, Thailand
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rat poison at the Hmong Market.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Herbal remedies were also available at the Hmong Market.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These Hmong women in their bright new clothes had just given a dance performance at a big food festival on the banks of the Mekong in Chiang Khong.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Chiang Khong Food Festival
Heart 5 Comment 0
Baan Rimtaling Guest House dining area in the evening. These are a few of the people we became friends with while staying there. The owner, Maleewan, is third from the right. It's cold and the charcoal stove was welcome. We were all awaiting pizza, if you can believe that! A German woman who was a master chef was making a whole lot of pizza for us. Pizza in Asia is something I have learned to never order but I had faith in a master chef from Germany.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jennifer, the German master chef. She kept bringing out various versions of pizza for two hours and it was some of the best pizza I've ever eaten. Seriously, it was fantastic. Thank you, Jennifer, it was so nice of you to do this. I will make a pilgrimage to her future restaurant wherever it is in the world.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Jennifer handing out her wonderful pizza.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekLooks tasty!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
After breaking his foot, Neville became an unintentional long-term resident of Baan Rimtaliing Guest House. It's a great place to be laid up!
Heart 6 Comment 0
A cold winter morning at Baan Rimtaling Guest House. The cat, Jasmine, thought she was freezing to death and was having a hard time warming in the sun. Granted, it got down to about 7C, (45F). But at 75F, (24C) during the day I call that perfect. The Thais are bundled in fur coats and don't like this winter but it is actually a normal winter and we are glad for that.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Jasmine, thinking she isn't going to make it.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Not sure why these banana plant leaves are being dried in the sun. I know they are used to wrap up all sorts of foods into cute bundles but they are used fresh and not dried first. Maybe it's a step in the process I'm not aware of.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Must be the remnants of some festival.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We've tried a lot of khao soi on this trip and this one was one of my most favorite. Even the bowls were nice with indentations to place the chopsticks. We got this at the Cactus Cafe, if you are ever in Chiang Khong.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Jasmine is a crazy cat. She later started ripping this box apart with her teeth.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Maleewan, the best guest house owner ever! Baan Rimtaling Guest House.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I love these old buses that go between Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong many times per day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These colorful Lao wooden boats are a common sight on the Mekong. I'm glad they haven't changed a bit through the years. It's fun to watch them but even more fun to ride them to Luang Prabang.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A hotel in Chiang Khong that someone had fun decorating the walls with beer bottles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Mekong River cargo boat low in the water.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our new friend, Steve, whom we met at our guest house, showed us this sweet spot overlooking a portion of the Mekong. It was a bit downstream from our guest house far from any other buildings. Just an outdoor restaurant and place to have a beer at sunset. Lovely. Notice the warm clothing! The temperature has dropped significantly and feels great.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The dining area of Baan Rimtaling Guest House is one of the most lovely places to be every morning in Chiang Khong.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Andrea taught herself to read Thai but sometimes the fonts are so fancy she can't decipher. So, she is not sure what this says.
Heart 3 Comment 0

lovebruce

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 644 miles (1,036 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregg ButenskyLove all the photos here!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanTo Gregg ButenskyThank you, Gregg. I think the photos reflect our love for the Mekong River and being in Chiang Khong at our favorite guest house. We have always met nice people there. It's like being on vacation whenever we've stayed in Chiang Khong.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago