Bassano del Grappa - Padua - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2023

Bassano del Grappa - Padua

Back where we started. We left our car here 16 days ago when we embarked on the Italian stage of the Grand Tour. We were never sure, will we carry out these plans, hatched in January, to the finish? But yes, here we are at the end of a marvelous trip and also a wonderful time with the Andersons.

As we leave Bassano
Heart 12 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great photo of all of us!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Our route today doesn't look too promising, nor does the weather. It was raining heavily when we went to bed last night and the sky isn't too reassuring this morning. We are leaving the mountains behind us, there is little noteworthy along the way and I expect some busy roads. It will just be an A-to-B day. As it turns out it isn't bad at all, not monotonous although lacking in spectacular views, and the kilometers pass quickly. We have quiet roads through small towns, farm land and some cycling again on a dike, this time of the Brenta. We veer off our route for one bit of sightseeing.  Janos and I were in Citadella years ago and I recall the little walled city is worth seeing. Not as nice the second time. The walls are impressive but otherwise lots of one way streets and irritating traffic. We get our snapshots and are back on course.

Citadella was founded in 1220 as a strategic outpost defending Padua. (Notice the photo is not cropped)
Heart 6 Comment 0
One of four entry gates
Heart 4 Comment 0
If you had time, walking the walls instead of cycling down the main street would make for an interesting visit.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The ramparts circling the city are entirely viable - alas we are not interested today.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The extra kilometers to Citadella aren't completely justified, nor is the little detour from the planned route that I suggest, hoping to avoid a busy road. Rachael and Scott go along with me. We end up on a track through a field. Janos doesn't go along with my detour and attests to a perfect bike path next to the highway.

Last picture of Rachael in action
Heart 5 Comment 0
That track that improved by the time I get around to getting a picture
Heart 3 Comment 0

Due to a last minute revision at breakfast our routes differ slightly. When Janos and I think the Andersons are behind us and will catch up eventually, they have by-passed us. A call from Scott confirms they are already in Padua. We still have five kilometers to go. When we roll up to our hotel, there they are sitting in a cafe enjoying a late lunch while waiting for check-in time.

Bicycle portrait for the day
Heart 8 Comment 1
Nancy GrahamBrilliant photo Suzanne.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Back on the dike
Heart 3 Comment 0
While waiting on the dike for the Andersons I have time for details
Heart 8 Comment 2
Kirsten KaarsooWhat a beautiful photo of a snail. I am not a photographer but I admire you for catching this moment.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kirsten KaarsooSnails are very graceful I think. Thanks.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Janos with his Insta -360 on a stick
Heart 4 Comment 0
Along the dike
Heart 4 Comment 0
View of the Brenta
Heart 4 Comment 0
We see this blooming vine or bush everywhere and it is very pungent, like an overdose of perfume. But I never saw it climbing a pole before. While I stop for a picture, I hear a lot of barking from behind the fence.
Heart 4 Comment 0
They are barking ferociously but when I get closer with my camera they stop and just wag their tails like crazy.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like jasmine.

https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/jasmine.html
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bill ShaneyfeltI never expected that would be jasmine. The scent was really too much!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltOMG - cute doggies!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott stops for dragonflies*. They are very hard to capture in flight but I think he got one. *I now know the difference between dragonflies and damselflies. This is a damselfly. See comment.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltA damsel fly. From what I can find, it looks like a male beautiful damsel fly.

https://www.odonata.org.uk/photos/Zygoptera/Calopteryx%20virgo/slides/IMG_0086%20Calopteryx%20virgo%20male.htm
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, Bil!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Again a good meal together, our last for the time being, and early to bed. Tomorrow we will fetch our car - I hope it's still there where we left it - and start on the drive home. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,372 km (852 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Nancy GrahamBrava and Bravo to you and Janos. The trip was so fine to follow along with you and you both did it so very well. Welcome home, but I will sorely miss you writings and your adventures - til next time ;’-).
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kathleen JonesAnother great journal. Thank you.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks for sharing your adventure!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamThank you, glad you enjoyed it, Nancy!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesThanks for following along, Kathleen!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks for following! When we get back home, I'll be filling in the missing days in France.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooI enjoyed your journal and getting to meet you and Jonas in Sault. Until next time.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kirsten KaarsooWe so enjoyed meeting yoyu, too! Hope we meet again!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Susan CarpenterA wonderful finish to the Grand Tour - so glad things worked out for a few days of cycling with Scott and Rachael. Thank you for sharing your adventures - I was thrilled to be there at the start and am looking forward to our next cycling rendezvous.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonWe were so lucky to have such a wonderful start with you and the great time with the Andersons at the end. I still have five days to write up when we were cycling with you. It's at the top of my list of things to do when we get home.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonI miss the two of you and look forward to our next meeting.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago