In transit: Padua - Bolzano - home - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2023 to June 12, 2023

In transit: Padua - Bolzano - home

A last breakfast with Rachael and Scott. We are so happy that we got the chance to spend these days with them. From Trento to the end it was wonderful company, good weather and great cycling. We are going to miss them.

Back in our room we are focused on getting our panniers organized for two days in the car. We ride four kilometers on quiet Sunday morning streets to where we left our beat up Skoda.

Hello car, glad to see you are waiting for us.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAlways a relief, I'm sure!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

 We have planned a stopover in Bolzano on our way back to Munich. Sunday is the last day of the Bavarian school holidays and we know from experience that there will be heavy traffic approaching the Brenner and Munich, so we save that portion for Monday. Almost from the start the highway is congested, mostly Italian license plates, I don't know why they were all heading north. We take two hours more for the drive to Bolzano than anticipated. Our hotel is on the outskirts of Bolzano and  easily accessed from the highway, we don't go into town at all.

The view from our room is very nice, the noise from the highway not so nice if you have the window open.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Monday morning we are on the last lap of our journey, there are few cars on the highway and we make good time home.

What a strange feeling to be back in Gauting. When we left spring was still trying to make an appearance, now it looks like full blown summer. When you get back there are chores demanding your attention, no one is cooking for us or making our beds. We left the bubble of cycle touring and are now in a completely different bubble. Strange to be in another world so suddenly.

Next day I am back on schedule with a bike ride to my weekly tai chi class.
Heart 8 Comment 0

I might still write a final resumée of the number of days of rain, sun, riding, driving, days not on our bikes, etc.

Until then heartfelt thanks for reading along so far, and the many friendly comments are very much appreciated. Ciao, ciao!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 1,376 km (854 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Patrick O'HaraThanks for sharing your adventure! Welcome home.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Nancy GrahamLeaving the “bubble of cycle touring”! I love that phrase, and can so relate to all those home chores needing attention again! Welcome home and thanks for the ride.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Eva WaltersThanks Suzanne. As usual, your journal has been good reading with great photos. We look forward to your posts of the rest of the France tour, especially your ascent of Mont Ventoux!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltI LOVE reading all your posts and seeing your pictures!!! Keep them coming!! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThanks for sharing your blog writing, I look forward to reading more about your time with Susan. She’s a great travel companion as you well know.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Gregory GarceauFun tour. Fascinating photos. Fine journal. I enjoyed it all. I don't know what else to say.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooYes, we have about ten more days of our cycling bubble and then the chores will appear.
Thanks for sharing. It is fun seeing where people cycle to and who they meet. I enjoy your photos too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonI look forward to reading about the missing days!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Karen PoretTo Nancy GrahamAgreed! This is a wonderful expression we already should know, but thanks to Suzanne it now is!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago