Kassel - Lippoldsberg: We switch from the Fulda to the Weser - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2011

Kassel - Lippoldsberg: We switch from the Fulda to the Weser

We say good-bye to our dear friends, Ildiko and Rüdiger
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Kassel
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our way out of town, we pass this installation from a previous Documenta. The Documenta is one of the most important exhibitions of modern art in the world, taking place every five years in Kassel. The next will be in 2012.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Documenta sculpture on the bank of the Fulda
Heart 2 Comment 0

Gorgeous weather, almost too warm but I don't want to complain. Our day started out along the Fulda River, our trusty companion, until we reached Hannoversch Münden, another town with an abundance of beautiful half-timbered houses. It's almost a museum the collection is so rich.

Hannoversch Münden
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hannoversch Münden
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hannoversch Münden
Heart 2 Comment 0

In Hannoversch Münden we parted ways with the Fulda. The Weser Valley awaited us. If anything, we found it even more beautiful than the Fulda Valley. We had a 360° panorama view of the river winding its way through hills and pastures in all shades of green. The bike path was generally very good, well marked and the hills bordering the valley created an atmosphere of intimacy and protection. We didn't always remain close to the river, sometimes the bike path was on dirt tracks and there were some short but steep little climbs.

Weser Bike Path
Heart 3 Comment 0
Seen from the Weser Bike Path
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the afternoon our path passed Kloster Bursfelde, founded as a Benedictine abbey in 1093 and a Protestant monastery since 1542.

Kloster Bursfelde
Heart 1 Comment 0
Church of Kloster Bursfelde
Heart 2 Comment 0

We ended the day in Lippoldsberg, the site of another Benedictine Abbey. The Lippoldsberg Abbey was founded as a Bededictine nunnery 1059.

Lippoldsberg Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lippoldsberg Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0

We found an excellent little hotel, Lippoldsberger Hof, for 62 € including breakfast, family run, with its own restaurant. The menu was limited but everything was freshly prepared and served with style.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 660 km (410 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0