Lippoldsberg - Holzminden: We have sun in the morning and rain in the evening - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2011

Lippoldsberg - Holzminden: We have sun in the morning and rain in the evening

We had such a nice hotel - and still I slept very poorly. If I could just figure out what the ingredients are for a good sleep. Obviously just being tired isn't enough. I was tired all day and the headwinds and rain at the end of the day explain why we didn't get very far.

We had a ferry ride to the other bank of the Weser and pedalled through lovely rural countryside with sheep and horses waiting to have their pictures taken. The sun stayed with us until we reached Bad Karlshafen, when it clouded over.

Crossing the Weser
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Weser Bike Path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Does he have a toothpick in his mouth?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltSure looks like he does! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Small wheat fields along the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

I read in my diary that we had lunch in Beverungen. Apparently, it didn't make much of an impression on me because I can't remember it at all. I do know that it was here that it started raining on and off which meant on and off with our rain jackets. When we got to Höxter, a pretty little town, it was still very grey.

Höxter
Heart 3 Comment 0

Not far from Höxter we stopped to visit Corvey which I am sure I would have enjoyed more if the sky had been a little brighter. The Imperial Abbey of Corvey (Fürstabtei Corvey) was a Benedictine monastery, first founded in 815 among the recently converted Saxons. The matching towers of the abbey are from 873-885, but the abbey church is now Baroque. After the secularization in 1803, the abbey buildings were rebuilt as a palace.

Towers of the Benedictine abbey, the earliest standing medieval structure in Westphalia
Heart 1 Comment 0
This part of the abbey was rebuilt as a palace in baroque style.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Detail over the entry to the inner courtyard
Heart 1 Comment 0

In a fine drizzle, we continued on to Holzminden where we found a room in Pension Weseraue just in time before it began to pour. The pension was run by a friendly, young woman from Bolivia and her German husband and cost 50 € including breakfast.

This day wasn't a highlight of our trip, but we did manage to find a very good Italian restaurant for our evening meal. Nothing like a taste of Italy when a grey German summer day gets you down.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 710 km (441 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0