Melsungen - Kassel: We reach our first goal - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2011

Melsungen - Kassel: We reach our first goal

Very cool this morning. Our youth hostel was on the hill and we had a surprisingly chilly ride down as a start for the day. But the sun was shining and my finger tips soon warmed up for our short ride along the Fulda to Kassel, the first big stepping stone on our loop to the north and east before we headed back home.

View from the bridge before we leave Melsungen
Heart 3 Comment 0
Children crossing the the Bartenwetzerbrücke or Axe Whetters' Bridgeon their way to school.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bicycle PortraitThe Axe Whetters' Bridge was built in the 16th century and is the oldest bridge in Melsungen. Woodcutters used the stones of the bridge to sharpen their axes.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Janos has been back to Kassel often since he moved to Munich, but he was excited that this time he was cycling back. Much had changed along the Fulda, new bike paths and bridges had been built, but still it was all familiar and he had the comfortable feeling of knowing his way around.

Village on the way to Kassel
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we arrived in Kassel, we stopped at the Orangerie, a palace in the Karlsaue Park, built in 1701 as a summer residence for royalty. It is now a restaurant with outdoor cafe - and a beautiful place to bask in the sun on a sunny day in May.

Kassel! We achieve our first interim goal.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the Orangerie in Kassel
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we arrived at our friends' house in the early afternoon, we were given a touching, heartwarming welcome.

We enjoyed Rüdiger's and Ildiko's hospitality for five leisurely days, visited other friends in Kassel and rested up for the next stage of our journey north. By the time Monday rolled around, we were again eager to get on our bikes and we looked forward to new adventures in parts of Germany where neither of us had cycled before.

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 595 km (369 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0