Introducton: The bikes, their riders and the route - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

Introducton: The bikes, their riders and the route

A journal from May 2011, originally posted elsewhere, now on CycleBlaze thanks to our helpful admin! I found it interesting that ten years ago we weren't booking hotels in advance and not using a booking app. Did any exist then? Also notable is that the hotel prices have almost doubled since then.

May 2011- The notes for this journal were written while we were on the road and I had planned the published version with pictures to be a winter project - therapy for the restlessness that inevitably comes when the days are short and cold and you can't get out on your bike. Then I discovered that, in spite of many photos and journal notes, the details were already fading in my memory. It was a great trip and I wanted to capture the memories now.

We rode our recently purchased e-bikes. For me it was a bicycle tour, the electric assist didn't make it feel less like cycling. Actually, it was more cycling than what we were up to without support - more kilometers, more flexibility in choosing our route and less fatigue.

We wanted to take a long door-to-door trip and, hurrah, we made it, we cycled back to our front door where we started. Traveling through different parts of Germany and a bit of the Czech Republic, we saw many different landscapes, people, architecture. In relatively densely populated Europe things are close together and there were seldom long stretches with nothing of interest.

I don't have the original maps with our exact route, this is an approximation that I recreated.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonI’ll look forward to reading this. It’s country I’ve long thought about but never fit in.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesType your comment here
Reply to this comment
2 years ago