Tampico Road - Northwest passages: riding out the storm - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2020

Tampico Road

Delivery Day

My new zoom camera arrived from Amazon Wednesday.  The one we didn’t need or want after all because I already have a brand new zoom camera.  It was delivered to the Rite Aid store at the north end of town, an Amazon pickup location that you can choose to have deliveries sent to.

It arrived together with a few items Rachael ordered a few weeks ago - a case for her new Samsung S10 Lite phone that she’s so thrilled with, and a new small purse, just a bit larger than the one she’s been carrying and large enough to accommodate the new phone.  She’s been impatiently awaiting this delivery for over a week, checking her mailbox Often for delivery updates.  Something odd happened with her order - she received regular updates on its status, and finally heard that it was in town and out for delivery late last week.  Then, nothing.  For a week she wondered what had gone wrong, but then suddenly she heard that it had arrived, coincidentally on the same day as the camera was delivered.

Wednesday was the day of our covered bridge ride with the Grumbys.  We learned that the deliveries had arrived on our drive home, and Rachael decided she’d like to walk out there and pick them up for a bit more exercise.  Assuming that a mile walking is worth five miles of biking, this would bring her up to a 42 cycling mile equivalent for the day, her magic number: 

     22 actual cycling miles + (4 walking miles * 5  m/wm) = 42 ecm.  

Perfect. 

Our plan was to refuse delivery of the camera, since we didn’t want it in the first place.  Amazon had confirmed we could do this, and Rite Aid stated we could do so at this location when we check with them earlier.  Unfortunately, there’s a catch.  Two of them, actually.  

Catch #1: Weirdly enough, our two orders placed a week apart not only coincidentally arrived on the same day, they arrived bundled as a single order.  You can’t refuse delivery of just a part of an order - it’s all or nothing with Amazon.  Rachael didn’t realize this until after she’d already opened the bundled package and then tried to refuse delivery just the camera.  No soap.  She’s already accepted the order.

Catch #2: The Corvallis Rite Aid is an Amazon pickup location, but oddly enough it isn’t a drop-off location.  We could have refused pick-up, but we can’t drop off items to be returned.  Huh?

Our options, we learn after modeling a return event through Amazon’s website: print off the mailing label they provide and drop it off with UPS, or drop it off at a recognized Amazon location with no label required - they can just scan the QR code from the email when they accept the package.  There’s a UPS drop off quite close by, but we don’t have ready access to a printer so we can’t easily print the label.  Instead, we plan to bike to the nearest drop off location: the Kohl store fifteen miles to the east in Albany.  We’ll just build it into one of our rides.

Later that evening, Rachael will be disappointed when she discovers that her new phone case is totally unsuitable.  With it on, the screen isn’t touch sensitive.  The purse is fine though.

Today’s ride

Today’s the day.  I looked at the map last night and crafted a longish loop that mostly covers now-familiar territory, with a few new roads tacked on that we’ve been meaning to try.  Kohl’s doesn’t open until 11, so we don’t get started until nearly 10 - which proves to be unfortunate, because today is the hottest we’ve experienced this year.   When we make it home in late afternoon it’s 85 degrees, so I imagine it went even higher than that.  We’re both roasted and dehydrated when we finally roll in.

Not much new to say about the ride, 80% of which we’ve already ridden in the past two weeks.  And not too many photos today, for the same reason.

Here’s something we’ve passed a few times now but didn’t stop for before. Riverside Community Hall, built and maintained by Riverside Community since 1921. Looks like a lovely spot for that special occasion.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Andrea BrownIt sure does! Bruce and I attended a beautiful event there several years ago, a madcap adventure with a strangely twisted plot line.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownSounds like there could be an interesting tale here, maybe best shared when the HACs reconvene some day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
He’s still here!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThis guy ended up on the front lawn of Corvallis High School at least once for senior prank day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownGuys, undoubtedly. Youth are so disrespectful!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Crossing under Highway 99 alongside Cox Creek, the inlet for Waverly Lake. It makes us a bit anxious biking this narrow, sharp-edged path with water lapping at the edges.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Willamette River, from the Lyon Street Bridge. Rachael’s shoulder is finally feeling back to normal again after her encounter with a UPS truck, so maybe we’ll get to try going out in a kayak again some day.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnLooks like a great place to paddle!!

Is there a shop near water where you can rent a couple boats?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
North Palestine Cemetery again. I penciled it into today’s route so that we could see its huge madrona tree on a sunny day,
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pretty fair spot for our picnic lunch. And there’s even an outhouse nearby!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Daisies at the summit, Palestine Hill.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dropping off the eastside off Palestine Hill we get a good look at Mount Jefferson. It was solidly overcast when I was here before, so I had no idea.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Eastbound on Aerlie Road. We didn’t take note of this spectacular blue field when we were here then, so I assume it wasn’t in bloom yet.
Heart 4 Comment 0
So now what? From the leaves, it looks like some sort of thistle.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltPhacelia.

https://grasslandoregon.com/assets/phacelia.pdf
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltPhacelia! I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it. Great to know.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltThere are lots of Phacelia species. They are some of my favorite desert flowers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phacelia
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Looking back west on Aerlie Road, we get another good look at Mount Jefferson.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking further to the southeast, I’m startled to see two other snow-capped peaks. These must be the Middle and South Sisters. Looking at the map, it looks like we’re lined up here with the course of the upper Mackenzie River. This must be one of the few lower elevation spots in the valley that you can see these peaks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking south from Aerlie Road. Our route from here continues west a bit further and then doubles back on Tampico Road along the base of that ridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Tampico Road. The next 10 miles are new territory for us, riding through the foothills north of Corvallis. A bit lumpy after at the end of a hot, longish ride, but very nice. We’ll have to return here before we leave.
Heart 2 Comment 0
North of Crescent Valley the road turns to a roller coaster. I should have been tipped off, with names like Hood View Circle and Overlook Drive.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Video sound track: Peace Train, by Cat Stevens

P.S.

One last note.  It’s a landmark day - the open wound from my dog bite has finally closed up!  The new skin still looks pretty fragile and papery and will need protection for awhile, but it’s feeling like I’m basically healed now.  And after only 86 days!

Not bad - it hasn’t even been quite three months!
Heart 0 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauClosed up, true, but it still makes me feel a little ill. I heard dogs barking while I rode today. Every time that happens I think back to the first time you revealed your wound.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnWow! If you had 86 daily photos of the healing, that would make for an interesting time lapse for a wound care team.

Makes me woozy to imagine it .. so good thing I didn't go into wound care!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

P.P.S

OK.  One really last note.  It’s a landmark day for another reason.  Capitol One has agreed in writing that they’ll be giving us our money back.  Soon!  After only two empty billing cycles, evidently.  I’m not sure why they are keeping it so long, since there haven’t been any new costs  charged since the card was cancelled.  Just because they can, I suppose.  I’ll have to call them to learn more.

Heart 0 Comment 3
Jen RahnAaauuugh!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnI’m not sure of the pronunciation, but this looks very much like one of the things I said.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnDid you see the movie Christmas Story?

I can imagine the dad looking at the letter and exclaiming, "Dadgummit Blah!!"
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 52 miles, 1,900’

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Bob DistelbergSo I actually have the same phone as Rachael, and on mine when I added a case and screen protector, I had to increase the touch sensitivity. Go to Settings->Display and scroll down until you see the touch sensitivity toggle. Once I did that it all worked perfectly. Don't know if you are having the same problem but might be worth a shot. And I agree, it's a great phone.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonI did that and it still doesn’t work. What kind of screen protector did you use! I think I got the wrong kind.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Rachael AndersonIt was from a company called Zagg. I don't remember the specific model, although I think just the one that they had listed as the correct one for that phone. It was about $30, which I remember thinking at the time seemed crazy expensive for what was essentially a small clear piece of plastic. But, it worked. Good luck!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Rachael AndersonOh, and the case was from Gear4.
https://www.amazon.com/Gear4-Piccadilly-Protection-Protected-Compatible/dp/B07NQLMTDK
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bob Distelberg
Thanks for the info but I have a different phone. See link below. I have a great case for it but it only covers the back but that’s what I had on my galaxy s8. It’s definitely harder to find accessories for the galaxy s10 lite since it’s so new and isn’t carried by us carriers probably because it’s an unlocked phone and it’s cheaper. I like it because it has a much longer battery life, a great camera and a super fast charger. None, of the other s10 have these features. It is also a lot cheaper. I got one for $500 on amazon.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-s10-lite/?cid=sem-mktg-pfs-mob-us-google-na-05012020-140374-&ds_e=GOOGLE-cr:0-pl:266491880-&ds_c=FF~Device+Lite+-+Upper+Funnel_CN~s10_PH~on_MK~usnat_BS~im_PR~smart_SB~s10_PK~CPQL_FS~lo_CA~kew_MD~h_KS~bap_MT~bmm-&ds_ag=AG~Best+-+OA+Switchers_MK~usnat_AT~ta_MD~h_AG~Best_AI~yes-&ds_k=%2Bbest+%2Bgalaxy+%2Bs10+%2Blite&gclid=Cj0KCQjwirz3BRD_ARIsAImf7LNCLIDrSZD8Ux5E2-RXCsoKhwRYDu7qFHa5zxNy_yXK1UILA24KWDwaAlbHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Rachael AndersonAh, my mistake. I confused the S10 Lite with the S10e, which was there previous less expensive model in the S10 line. It looks like a great phone at a great price.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonYes, it’s been great so far!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago