Easy riding along the Rhine-Marne-Canal - France again - this time Alsace - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2022

Easy riding along the Rhine-Marne-Canal

Heart 0 Comment 0

The Marnre-Rhine Canal that we followed on today's ride has an interesting history. 

The Canal de la Marne au Rhin (Marne–Rhine Canal) is a canal in north-eastern France. It connects the river Marne and the Canal entre Champagne et Bourgogne in Vitry-le-François with the port of Strasbourg on the Rhine. The original objective of the canal was to connect Paris and the north of France with Alsace and Lorraine, the Rhine, and Germany. The 313 km (194 mi) long canal was the longest in France when it opened in 1853.

There is much more to discover in the internet for those interested. For us of interest today was the bicycle path that starts in Strasbourg and follows the canal for about 80 kilometers. We picked it up in Saverne and rode an out and back. At one point the canal disappears into a tunnel and the bike path and road have to go over the mountain. We followed the path back in 2008 on our way to Paris, today we turned around before the climb. I don't think it's a serious climb for e-bikes, but back then we had camping gear and just our legs for power so I suppose we thought it was a pretty big mountain.

What I found most interesting today, aside from pleasant countryside and an enjoyable bike path, were the many lock keepers cottages on the part of the canal that is no longer in use. They are privately owned and most of them seem to be under construction, in the process of being converted into something inabitable after standing empty for many years.

Help - all of my pictures and captions just disappeared. How did that  happen?  I'll repost the pictures, add some brief captions and forget about putting them in the right order. Sorry.

Just outside of Saverne
Heart 3 Comment 0
Window with patina on one of the cottages
Heart 5 Comment 0
He kindly waited long enough for me to zoom in.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGrey heron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_heron
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Cottage 15 had some iron sculptures scattered about.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Red sandstone, a building material often used
Heart 4 Comment 0
Abandoned and overgrown
Heart 5 Comment 0
The beginning of the section of the canal that is no longer in use
Heart 7 Comment 0
Picnic spot with a strange pareidolia
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonOh, there’s that word again! Thanks for the reminder.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A lovely ride on a smooth surface
Heart 4 Comment 0
Cottage 13 has new windows, progress is being made.
Heart 4 Comment 0
No more barges passing by here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Easy rider
Heart 3 Comment 0
Narrow
Heart 7 Comment 0
Red sandstone
Heart 8 Comment 0
Lutzelbourg
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Janos's video for today:

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 37 km (23 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Tricia GrahamWe rode from Strasbourg through to the Mosel a few years ago what a lovely interesting ride it was. Once more pleased to have one of your trips to follow
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamThanks, Tricia! Yes, it's a beautiful area.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago