Colors of Alsace - France again - this time Alsace - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2022

Colors of Alsace

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today a lovely ride in the countryside to the northeast of Saverne. The predicted heat wave isn't quite here yet, but it got hot on the road around one, not unbearable, something like 27C, and it was good to be back in our room in the early afternoon. 

Our first kilometers are along the Canal Marne-Rhine, going in the opposite direction from yesterday's canal ride. We soon left the canal bike path for a ride through villages and gentle hills. I was intent on capturing the brilliant and bold colors, so characteristic of the region. Not a color of the rainbow has been left out.

Chateau Rohan of Saverne - we haven't been inside yet
Heart 4 Comment 0
Canal view leaving Saverne
Heart 8 Comment 0
Looking back to Saverne and Chateau Rohan
Heart 8 Comment 0

We had views over dry countryside of harvested fields. To the one side we often see the Vosges mountain range and running parallel to it across the Rhine the mountains of the Black Forest/Schwarzwald in the distance in Germany.

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rich FrasierThat sky….beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
There has been an error in planning the route (it was me) and we have a stretch of very uncomfortable gravel. But it connects to where we want to go so we persevere.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Headwinds on the way home
Heart 7 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesNormally lowly thistles help make this photo great!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0

The highlight of the day was discovering the many hues and shades the houses in the villages and towns are painted in. To call them bright would be an understatement, maybe bold or wild? In German there is the word 'farbenfroh', which translates literally as color happy. Maybe that says it best.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonI just have to like this one.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonYou better, I took it for you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltLooks like that's a painting around the windows?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Charmaine RuppoltYes, that part is painred.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauThis neon blue almost blinded me. WOW!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauYou are the paint expert. You probably would have had a name for all the different color nuances.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rich FrasierColor happy, definitely!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 6 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltWhat is the name of his bicycle? I saw in a previous trip photo you all had Bike Fridays. :) I have a Bike Friday also - they are great bikes! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonWe used to have Bike Fridays. This isn't a folder. It's called i:sy. Very nice bike!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Translation of the middle panel: Three hares and (only) three ears and no one (no hare) is missing one (an ear).
Heart 7 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesThat doesn’t seem like the Hochdeutsch I learned in Hochschule. But very clever, very wonderful folk art.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltVery cool! :) :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow! Definitely bright colors! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Close up of the shutters
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 96 km (60 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kathleen JonesWhat a wonderful ride. And the German/French/German/French influences are pretty obvious.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesA great review of Alsace houses!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinHi,
Super photos Suzanne! The paint salesmen must make a fortune in Alsace.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago