Favorite bicycling photo of 2022 (page 4) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Favorite bicycling photo of 2022 (page 4)

Wayne EstesTo George Hall

Great photo. Is that helmet intended for cycling? It appears to be poorly ventilated.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
George HallTo Wayne Estes

Yes, the Nutcase helmets are intended for cycling. They're probably used more for city commuting than anything else. And there's sort of a subculture of cyclists who wear them - mostly rebel youngster counter-culture types.  

On the one hand, you are correct that the helmet has minimal venting compared to most helmets today. OTOH, the helmet offers protective coverage from the sun's rays - no slits for the UV rays to get through.  And the bill on the front provides a bit of shading from the sun and helps keep rain from dripping on my face.

The Nutcase helmets aren't light - mine is much heavier than the lightweight well-ventilated "typical" bike helmets most folks wear. It helps hold me down so I'm not blown away by a strong wind. 

I wear a typical well-ventilated lightweight helmet for my daily rides and wear the Nutcase when touring.  I just do it that way. My Nutcase helmet has been coast to coast twice now.  

Nutcase helmets aren't going to win any awards for performance - they aren't lightweight or well ventilated, and no serious racer would ever wear one. But mine has an "Easy Rider" or Evel Knievel look to it, and I suppose that counts for something.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Wayne Estes

My brother-in-law wears one and he's certainly no rebel youngster, being Al's older brother.  Maybe he is a bit of a rebel, though.  When he bought his first bike in decades, he spent a lot of time looking for one in his price range with internal hub and belt drive so he wouldn't have to deal with a chain or derailleur.  A full rebel would have just gone for a fixie.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo George Hall

It would be funny to have an Evel Knievel style helmet next June when I pedal near the Snake river canyon jump site. The launch site is about a mile down a dead end road. I doubt I will take the detour.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Wayne Estes

I changed my mind and added the Evel Knievel jump site to my route plan. It's only 0.6 mile down a dead end gravel road. The site has a good canyon rim view and history worthy of Atlas Obscura. Probably the only place a human has attempted to fly a motorcycle across a giant canyon.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
marilyn swettTo Wayne Estes

I'm not sure of your exact route, but in 2021, we biked on a paved trail that followed the canyon rim which went by the jump site. There is a monument there. You can access the trail from the road where the bridge is located. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo marilyn swett

Marilyn, thanks for sharing your experience. I knew about the rim trail in the town of Twin Falls, but didn't know that it continues all the way to Shoshone Falls, passing under the jump site.

Google Maps refused to route on that trail even when I select Walking routing. So I switched to the RWGPS map which was happy to auto-route on the rim trail. Here's my current route plan.

Twin Falls to Billings

In keeping with the high desert rivers theme, I'm attempting to see the Snake river canyon as much as possible. I expect to arrive by car in Twin Falls at noon, and start the bike tour with an afternoon out and back excursion into the canyon as it widens downstream from Twin Falls (the town). The next day I will pedal the rim trail upstream from town to the jump site and Shoshone Falls, then roads to Dierkes Lake, Twin Falls, and Hansen Bridge. Also a short detour to the Twin Falls LDS Temple because it's close to the trail and is an ongoing theme.

Let me know if you recommend any other detours for canyon views or short hikes.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bill Stone

I would have a hard time to deciding on a favorite photo but this is a good opportunity to wish everyone a HappyNew Year!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Bill StoneTo Suzanne Gibson

Favorite photo of 2023!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Bill Stone

Bill my most memorable pic was this one in Perth Western Australia marking the completion of a 3,800 km tour in 42 days across Australia with Joel Krewaz and Ian Wallis. 
I was well and truly ready to stop! 

The End
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago