Favorite bicycling photo of 2022 (page 5) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Favorite bicycling photo of 2022 (page 5)

John SaxbyTo Bill Stone

Bill, happy new(-ish) year to you and all, with best wishes for good health, tailwinds, and incompetent gremlins.

No touring this past year, though I made an enjoyable overnight in late June on my new Thorn Mercury Mk 3.  The photo below is from late October, included here as my favourite from 2022 'cos it's a little more than six weeks out from a hip-replacement operation.

My Mercury (named Freddie, of course) is leaning against the fence on the upstream (westward) edge of Bate island, midstream in the Ottawa River.  This is about 15 minutes from home, and I've just returned from a 2 1/2 hour ride up into the hills on the Québec side across the river.

The Blue Photo - Freddie on Bate Isl, looking W, upstream, late Oct 2022

With luck, I might be able to post something a bit more adventurous this coming autumn -- am due for the second hip op (left side, this time) in early March, and I'm anticipating (not yet "planning") a mini-tour of a week or so in West Qué. 🤞

Cheers,  John

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Bill StoneTo Graham Smith

Nice one, Graham. I remember that photo from your journal.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Bill StoneTo John Saxby

Thanks for the photo. Good luck with your hip.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Bill Stone

Bill I belatedly recall that photo is from 2021! Apologies for the error and memory lapse. The fish oil capsules aren’t working as well as they used to.:)

I did no cycle tours in 2022, and I did very little cycling other than some cycle commuting.  However  I did do a lot of walking in 2022  (thanks to a new dog called ‘Jester’ rescued from the dog pound) and I managed to trek to Everest Base Camp last November with my son and nephew. We didn’t see a wheel for three weeks! 

All the best for 2023. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo John Saxby

Freddie!  I love it!

Best of luck with your hips.  The partner of my local riding buddies has had both hips replaced (at least one of them twice) and neither of us has any hope of keeping up with him on a bike.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John SaxbyTo Jacquie Gaudet

Thanks, Jacquie.  Glad you like Freddie's name -- kinda obvious choice, I thought, but unanimously approved (so far 🤞).  There's a story behind the choice:  I can't claim to know a lot about Queen's music, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Zanzibar.  I used to collect stamps as a kid, and some of the most interesting and beautiful came from Uganda, the Seychelles, and Zanzibar.  As a teacher in northern Zambia in December 1969, on my holiday break I hitchhiked to Dar-es-Salaam. From there, I took the late afternoon ferry to Zanzibar.  We docked about 10 PM.  The clove works were (still are?) a few hundred metres further along the dockside, and disembarking, we were all engulfed in a wave of clove-oil scent.  'Twas all a bit much for a country boy just turned 22 ...

Thanks for your kind words about my hips.  Will let you know how it all turns out.  The first op has gone very well, so I'm guardedly optimistic.
Are you still

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bill Stone

I just saw this forum and since I only do videos I’m submitting my favorite video for the year of the spectacular ride we did through the Nesque Gorge in France.  This was an amazing ride with almost no traffic.  Click on the little box below to see the video.  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Bill StoneTo Rachael Anderson

Thanks, Rachael. Very cool. If I ask again next year, I'll try to remember to say "favorite photo and/or video."

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Thanks.  What a great forum topic.  It was great to look back through my videos and be reminded of this wonderful ride!  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

What a great photo!  We spent quite a bit of time in Utah during the pandemic but never got to this place.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago