The Deer Try a Brief Run For It - Grampies' World Class Local Tour Fall 2021 - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2021

The Deer Try a Brief Run For It

Last year there was no question about it. Most cycle tourers were prudently hiding under their mattresses at home while the COVID predator stalked the airlines, hotels, campgrounds, restaurants, and groceries. But then came the miraculous development of the vaccines, and a light opened at the end of the tunnel. We peeped cautiously from our mattresses, but only to find that our usually trusted public health services were botching the vaccine rollout. And this was not only in BC and Canada, but pretty much world wide. Who would think that societies that daily produce, for example, breakfast, for most of their citizens could not find and jab them once, within 6-8 months! Then came the Vaccine Passport foul up, in which regions and countries could not organize or agree on standardized proof that they had actually managed to vaccinate someone.

We watched all this from our mattress, including the new Delta Variant monster out in the street. But slowly we became aware of other cyclists who had crept out from under cover, and were beginning to fly in to Paris or Munich or etc.  There was of course the Andersons, heading for Rome, and Kevin and Sunyoung, doing Paris to Bordeaux, and the Fenwicks to Croatia, and Suzanne Gibson and Janos, swanning around their bit of Bavaria and Austria, etc. We waited for them all to keel over, but they seemed ok!

What's more, some cyclists - old friends or new Warm Showers - turned up at our door. We put on masks and fed them outside, but thought - if they can do it, maybe so can we.

These developments and thoughts came to us too late in the season to do anything dramatic. Our bikes are stashed in Leipzig. Blasting over there for a standard 90 day tour would have us cycling when it is too cold to be fun (for us, anyway). We could use the train to get to the sun, and then back north to friends in Leipzig or Munich to stash the bikes, but that's too many days of train riding to be fun.

So are we still stuck? Not quite. We have a two part strategy. In part one we will pedal out from home for a brief circuit in our local territory. We will try to convince ourselves and you that there is something world class out there, nearby. But while we are creating a distraction this way, Fairfield Bike Shop in Victoria and Grin Technologies in Vancouver will be cooking up yet another set of ebikes for us! This will be our Bike Fridays tricked out with airplane legal batteries. If these work out, we will throw them in a plane and head for Malaga, Spain. From there we propose to circumnavigate the whole Iberian peninsula, including a nostalgic return to the Camino  de Santiago. 

But first, these timid deer will try a dash north from here, to Parksville and the mystical Cathedral Grove. Read on to see the route and what we will claim is so world class about it.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 20
Comment on this entry Comment 21
Andrea BrownYou had me at "airplane legal batteries". This will be so interesting to see how they perform with your Bike Fridays.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jonathan HechtLike Andrea, I, too, will be most interested in your travels with airplane legal batteries, and probably very heavy bike! Also, maybe you can give some details on converting your bikes.

More importantly…glad to see you back out there. I look forward to your reports.

Jonathan
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Andrea BrownWhen the Fridays are ready (in November) we'll try a spin around the Gulf Islands to test them out. Our hopes are high because Bike Friday in Eugene offers the batteries as a standard option now. But lots of aspects of the system (motor, controller, console, torque sensor, plus where and how these are arranged) will be unique to our implementation. We might be trailblazing for other Bike Friday riders now on Cycleblaze who year by year are careening toward needing a little push!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltWatching, as usual!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Michel FleuranceSilly me, I tought Delta was an airplane company ! Go Grampies go Grampies go.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Janet Anspach-RickeyYay! Great to see you two heading out. I will watch and learn. Janet
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sue PriceYour tricked out bikes sound interesting! We will be sure to come down for a peek before you take off! And as for world class? We think Vancouver Island is SO world class! Hope to see you up our way!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonThat's great news!We're routing for you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonThat’s great news! We look forward to following your travels and how the battery on your bike Friday’s work out.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonBy the way, Malaga is a great place to go in the late fall and winter!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Janet Anspach-RickeyIt's gonna be fun, but so different from your last desert ride!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonWe are just feebly following in your tracks!

The electric Bike Friday thing is only for the Spain idea, eh. This ride is on boring Dutch type bikes.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sue PriceWe will look for a way to possibly meet up as we are going Ladysmith to Parksville heading up and later down the Island.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rachael AndersonWe think Tricia is also looking to Spain early in the new year. Maybe there will be a small Cycleblaze convention in Malaga!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonThanks Suzanne and Janos. We also hope to be in your part of the world within a year!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceMerci Michel!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe would just love that. Would’ve a highlight to meet you after all the communication we have had with you two over the years
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe don’t want to get ahead of the current tour of course, but if you do go to Iberia what timeframe are you thinking of?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonWe are thinking if we go in early February then Shengen will kick us out at the beginning of May. Then three months out tending the garden could put us in Germany in August.

This is pushing it a bit, because then the apples will just fall from our trees and rot. Better to delay it all by a month, but after so long away we are likely to go sooner than later. So that's .. early February .. yeah!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWell, stranger things have happened than us meeting up over there. One of our candidates for the spring is to go back to Spain when our booking is up in Portland at the first of March. If we go that way we’ll start in Valencia and head west, so we could cross paths.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ben ParkeGreat to see the two of you heading out on the bikes again. I have been curious about those airline legal batteries. You’re always quite thorough with your reviews so I look forward to reading your experience.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago