The Borrego Badlands - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

February 18, 2021

The Borrego Badlands

_______________________________________________________
. . . Team Anderson misses a chance . . . driver’s license found . . . Ted Cruz
___________________________________________

In today’s news

Before going to today’s ride, let’s catch up on the top news headlines of the day.  In our top news item, we’re sorry to report that Team Anderson seems to have missed its chance to pick up a ready-to-occupy home in Biccari, Italy.  You’ll recall that the town was offering up houses and apartments in good condition for bargain prices as a lure to recruit new residents to their slowly dying Puglian village.

The Team was sorely tempted, but frittered away precious days waiting for responses to consulates that were never answered.  Too late now, as a recent follow-up news item reported.  At last count, over 20,000 applications had already been received and are still streaming in.  Carpe diem!

Still looks like a nice place to visit, the next time we’re in the region.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Next, the Team heard from Sandra, the host of its final B&B stay in Tucson.  She reached out to notify the team that Scott’s inconveniently lost driver’s license has been found under suspicious circumstances.  Insufficient evidence remains at the scene of the crime, but a prime suspect has been named.

That Skip! Such an innocent look too!
Heart 4 Comment 3
Jen RahnIdentity theft?! By Skip!?
Does he not have his own microchip?
Perhaps with Scott's ID
He'll go on a shopping spree
So his dog friends will think he is hip.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonI don't know if that's fair, or convincing, to blame poor Skip for the disappearance of your driver's license. He might have even been the one to discover it behind the sofa.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonGreat point! He’s always ready to blame someone else.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Today’s Ride

An out and back today, east of town out route 22, the road to the Salton Sea.  This is the third time we’ve ridden this route - the first time, we continued on to Indio on our way to Joshua Tree National Monument; and the second time, just last winter, was and out and back like today.

This ride is incredible.  After slowly climbing out of the basin it enters the wierd, severely eroded Borrego Badlands before eventually creating and dropping toward the Salton Sea.  I could happily repeat this ride every year.

But there’s no sense writing about it in detail over and over again, so I encourage you to follow the link to last year’s ride if you want a more detailed report, or to see more photos, or to have a good laugh at my expense at how poorly that day started out.

A familiar scene as we start north toward the Christmas Circle. Does every ride have to start like this?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another firewood wheelbarrow lineup! That’s two now. I can start a collection!
Heart 2 Comment 0
This vulture in the road is unhappy with our presence. He flies up to an adjacent fence until we pass and he can return to poke at some fresh road kill. I’m not sure, but from a distance it looks like it could be a coyote.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachael passed me a few minutes ago complaining about the wind, but it’s not that bad as we pass the airport - there’s still some drop in the wind sock.
Heart 2 Comment 0
North toward the mountains. Our route turns right on Henderson road at the base of the first range (Coyote Mountain, I think), following the line of the San Jacinto fault. Rachael’s up ahead about a half mile, near the vanishing point. I don’t really expect to see her again for the next hour or two.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Well, I was wrong. We’re rising to the first saddle now, and she’s still in sight.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I love this wall on the north side of Henderson Canyon with its fans spilling down into the basin, which itself is a huge alluvial fan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A last look back across the huge Henderson Alluvial Fan. Borrego Springs is about ten miles back, a thin green smear at the base of the farthest mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This region has a very complex geology, riven by a series of fault lines that are splinters of the San Andreas fault. The Earth’s plates collide here, thrusting up new ranges and ripping open the basins.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fonts Point, a famous beauty spot in the valley renowned for its dramatic views. Hopefully we’ll make our way out there for a hike before we leave town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking south across the beginnings of the Borrego Badlands.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Over the top, we get a first view of the Salton Sea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the wierd Borrego Badlands.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Borrego Badlands look like another tempting spot for a hike, if you don’t lose your bearings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another look at the Salton Sea. The San Andreas fault runs along the eastern edge of the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
For the first 20 miles of the ride the road is well surfaced and has a wide shoulder. Once we cross the county line into Imperial County it deteriorates immediately into this POS. No shoulder, rough, badly cracked. It continues like this all the way to the sea, but grows worse as you go. We’ll just follow it for about two miles today and then turn back.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Patrick O'Hara Before reading the caption, the quality of the road was the very first thing I noticed about the shot. Ugh. Jarring?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraQuite, and worse the further down you go - or maybe it’s just the cumulative impact of sitting on five miles like that. It’s been four years, and it may have gotten worse in my memory.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Aah, much better.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The park begins right at the county line. Just the right spot for lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: The Craftsman, by Eric Tingstad

Heart 0 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraHow's papa toe?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraGoing to be fine. I went out on an easy five mile hike to test it out and came back no worse for it.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Ride stats today: 45 miles, 1,800’; for the tour: 2,847 miles, 108,200’; for the year:  36 riding days, 1,584 miles, 51,200’, and 2 flat tires

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 2,848 miles (4,583 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0