Capitol Reef - Winterlude 2020 - CycleBlaze

March 28, 2021

Capitol Reef

On a day that figures to be the last time on the bikes for this tour we head for Scenic Drive, the lone paved road that penetrates into Capitol Reef Park.  For no obvious reason short of sloth we drive a couple of miles and start from Rim Rock Inn, avoiding the first hill closest to our motel.  

Once there, before starting out I finally remember to haul out the Grumby Bottle Opener for his first look at a state he’s never seen before.  It’s not the most scenic spot in Utah by a long shot, but I’d better do this first thing before I forget it again.  I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve remembered to tuck him in my shirt pocket at the start of a ride and then completely forgotten about it until the end of the day.

He’s compiling quite a list, giving him some impressive bragging rights when he gets together with his stainless steel drinking buddies back home: 11 countries, 7 states, and 2 Canadian provinces!

At last! The GBO was afraid we’d leave Utah without his getting a peek and adding it to his lifetime state list. Sorry we kept forgetting, little guy. But at least you’re getting a look at the very best view in the state. Really, believe us!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnWhat a lucky guy!

He's always wanted to take a ride on an old wagon. And what a bonus to be out in such spectacular scenery!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

It’s seven miles from where we leave the car to the visitor center, mostly downhill into a cold wind and an incredible view.  We’re riding on UT 24 again, but the road is busier here than yesterday with people driving to the park.  Nearly all of the park’s visitors arrive from this side, which has the only accommodation within thirty or forty miles.  There’s little or no shoulder, but the drivers are considerate and it’s safe enough - just not the idyllic experience it is further to the east.

Westbound on UT 24, descending toward Fruita and the national park visitors center.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well, maybe this is just a bit more impressive than the view we gave the GBO earlier. Don’t tell him though.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Still descending, near Panorama Point. Very nice now but we won’t like it so much on the way back.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And still dropping.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Scenic Drive is just as it sounds, and just as I remember from four years ago when we detoured through here on our ride to Hanksville.  It’s not the way Rachael remembered it though - for some reason she’d forgotten this road and confused it with another ride from the past and wasn’t that keen on coming again.  It’s amazing though, and a fitting ride to end the tour on.  

Capitol Reef is such an exceptional place, one you should really find a way to get to some day.  Like Natural Bridges, it really gains from being lesser known than the other big names in Utah - Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands - and isn’t awash with tourists yet.  Go see it, but don’t tell all your friends and neighbors.

In the national park, on Scenic Drive. Where do they come up with these names, anyway?
Heart 7 Comment 0
I regret this photo of the so called Egyptian Temple formation. I should have taken a photo of it from the other side, where the lighting was much better.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the end of the pavement on Capitol Gorge Road. The unpaved road continues on for miles and I’m sure must be spectacular. If we ever come back we should bike out there a ways. But then, that’s just what I said four years go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch break, Capitol Gorge Road. Last lunch spot of the tour, and a great one.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view north from the Slickrock Divide, the high point on Scenic Drive. Well, the view east actually - I see the crown of the Henry’s just peeking above the ridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Scenic Drive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Scenic Drive.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jen RahnOh how I love lonely ribbons of highway ..
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThis is such a special road - one of so many such we’ve seen in the last months. I thought of you when I looked on this view, knowing it was one you’d especially enjoy too.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Scenic Drive is only about eight miles long, so with the seven mile descent from the car and back we’re looking at only about a thirty mile ride.  Fine with me, but not for some folks.  I follow Rachael downriver for a few miles east on UT 24 until we’ve got a respectable distance to record, and then turn back west to the car.  

Looking across Fruita from UT 24.
Heart 2 Comment 0
the Capitol Dome I think, from UT 24 east of Fruita.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s less fun going west - the best views are behind you, and there’s a couple miles of 8% climbing to slow you down and make you wonder why you’re still doing this when you’re old enough to know better.

Nearing the car, we’ve gotten past the worst of the climbing and the road has leveled off.  I stop for a last look back at the views, and Rachael hollers back that she’ll meet me at home - she’s found her legs and wind again and decides she wants to add those important last three miles to the record.

A last look back. Oh, Henrys!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Starting off on a trail ride, Capitol Reef Inn.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Afterwards we shower, change, and drive back to the Rim Rock Inn again (cars are so corrupting!) for a celebratory meal at what looks like the best menu in the region.  Tucked into a quiet corner well away from the nearest neighbors, we enjoy the views west toward the park, the brown trout, the Sauvignon blanc, and each other’s company.  Living the life, as a cheerful guy said at our motel this morning telling us how wonderful it’s been living near Capitol Reef for the last decade. 

What should we celebrate this time? Oh, how about 6,000 km for the tour, or the end of an illness-free year on the road? Or maybe our great tan lines.
Heart 7 Comment 10
Patrick O'HaraCongrats! Excellent photos and accompanying journal. Thanks for whisking us armchair travellers away! One of the highlights of my day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bruce LellmanAnother great tour. Thank you for taking us along. Pretty amazing how you made something (quite a lot actually) out of nothing (a pandemic).
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Susan CarpenterCongrats on all 3!! And thanks for taking us along.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnAn illness-free year during a pandemic rated pretty high!

But ahead of that is your commitment to this journal, which has been a shiny bright spot during a sometimes-dark year. Thank you!

And congrats on all of the above.

Look forward to seeing youse soon. :0)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks again for following along, Patrick. We look forward to seeing you two out on the road yourselves again. Any plans for the coming year? Have you gotten jabbed yet?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanThanks for encouraging and helping us feel connected along the way, my friend. Looking back, we share some of your amazement about how this has all worked out for us. A year like no other.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan CarpenterThanks, Susan. Here’s looking forward to the time (soon!) when we can really be on the road again.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThanks so much for your support and encouragement through this strange time, Jen. Looking forward to a reunion soon!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonHey Scott. No jabs for me yet. Teachers in BC were to receive their vaccines this month, but that looks like it has been pushed back. Once we all have our 'vaccine passports', hopefully we get out on the road again.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonThat’s too bad! Hope you get your vaccines soon!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Video sound track: Withdraw, by Francesco Negro

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 40 miles, 3,500’; for the tour: 3,772 miles, 166,400’; for the year: 59 riding days, 2,496 miles, 109,400’, and 3 flat tires

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 3,772 miles (6,070 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bob DistelbergWell, I'm feeling kinda sad this tour is over, but so happy for you that you had such a successful, safe and healthy tour during our pandemic winter. Thanks for keeping us all entertained with such fantastic photos over the last four months.
Have a safe trip back home!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergThanks for following along, Bob. Hopefully it helped you outlast the pandemic in a small way.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago