Day 3: To Raustetten, a grey day - We Got As Far As Wertheim - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2021

Day 3: To Raustetten, a grey day

First a look out the window, overcast and there isn't much change the whole day, but no rain is good news and it turns out to be a good day. I not only see a grey sky but also have a view to the old city wall that once surrounded Donauwörth. The solar panels make an interesting contrast.

A portion of the old city wall side by side with solar panels
Heart 5 Comment 0

After breakfast we head to the bridge with a view to Donauwörth and the confluence of the Wörnitz and Danube that we missed yesterday. Today the scene is no longer sparkling in the sun and the rivers look murky. But perhaps the water was murky yesterday, too, after all the rain we have had.

Confluence of the Danube and the Wörnitz
Heart 1 Comment 0
View to the old town of Donauwörth
Heart 3 Comment 0

Heading back to the old town for a few more pictures, I stop by a bicycle shop, Brachem Radsport, to have another consultation on my malfunctioning suspension fork. Again here immediate service and knowledgeable mechanics. They confirm what I had heard before, there is an air leak, and they pump some more air into the air chamber. No charge - but I could make a donation to their Kaffeekasse (coffee money box).

A walk through the main street of the historic old town, Reichsstrasse
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view of architecture on Reichsstrasse
Heart 4 Comment 0

We're on our way following the Wörnitz more or less and reach Harburg after 14 km. Harburg's historic old town seems to be waiting for visitors but we see hardly any tourists today, an advantage of grey skies.

Sometimes our route follows the Wörnitz.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sometimes the bike path follows the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harburg
Heart 5 Comment 0
On the stone bridge over the Wörnitz, with some decoration. For a festival?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Giant crocheted doilies over the road into the old town
Heart 6 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNeat big doilies! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Harburg thrones over the city, one of the best preserved castle complexes in southern Germany.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The castle - we don't ride up to visit it but I understand it is open to visitors.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Wörnitz is showing the effects of the heavy rainfall.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After 20 km through the Swabian Jura landscape we are in Nördlingen, another picturesque town on the Romantic Road. On the way we encounter a detour that we don't take seriously but should have.

Excellent bike path, well separated from the highway
Heart 1 Comment 0
Traditional Swabian Jura landscape - gentle hills with juniper bushes
Heart 4 Comment 0

We come to a detour sign but the bike path as far as we can see looks fine so we continue on. Usually you can walk your bike around or through a construction site, we aren't worried. When we reach the site we see this will not be the case this time. A tunnel is under construction and the continuation of the bike path shown on Open Cycle Maps is inaccessible. Studying the map more closely at home I wonder if that bike path exists at all. The detour via the little town of Reimlingen is simple, but it would have been better if we had opted for the detour at the first road block. It is very practical that the app we use for plotting our routes and navigation, Komoot, reroutes you.

Not a bad detour
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltBindweed

https://www.gardenia.net/plants/plant-family/convolvulus_--_bindweeds
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, Bill. Are they also called morning glory?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Suzanne GibsonSometimes. Because they look alike.

https://askinglot.com/what-is-the-difference-between-bindweed-and-morning-glory
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, interesting!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Nördlingen is pretty but kind of touristy, as are most of the quaint and well-restored towns along the Romantic Road. Thanks to the mediocre weather it isn't too busy today.

We stop for a coffee.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I love the luxuriant gardens in the villages
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our goal today is Raustetten, just a bunch of houses, near Fremdingen. It was about the right distance, in the middle of nowhere but the countryside is lovely. We have stayed at Hotel Waldeck before, that time too because it was about the right distance and there wasn't much else in between.

Potato plants are blossoming now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A short, steep climb takes us to this chapel before we reach our destination. We are on asphalt, not the short unpaved section leading to the chapel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Uh oh, another detour? No, just a reminder to drive carefully. The whole village seemed to be under construction.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sky was a bit gloomy and we had a constant wind in our face, but it was a good cycling day with plenty of variety. 

Here is Janos's video of the day.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 164 km (102 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonI can’t wait to get to Germany to cycle and to meet the two of you! Thanks for the preview.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonI can't wait either!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamI was interested to read that like us you use Komoot for navigation which usually we find reliable. Lovely reading your journey along the Romantic Rd and hoping that we will soon be doing it
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonI hope so, too, Tricia!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago