Day 4: To Feuchtwangen, a short day - We Got As Far As Wertheim - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2021

Day 4: To Feuchtwangen, a short day

I thought it would be interesting to show a photo of our view out of the hotel window where we stay each night. Yesterday it was the old wall and solar panels. Today's view illustrates that all of Raustetten is under construction, including our hotel. I think they are trying to fancy it up a bit.

View from our hotel window
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's a beautiful day, although we still have a bit of a head wind. Soon we are on a spanking new bicycle path. It isn't even completely marked in Open Cycle Maps as it has hardly been completed.

I like little dinky roads through the forest, too, but this is another kind of pleasure, pure luxury.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here comes Janos with his action cam.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I see a bunch of storks on a church roof and stop to get some pictures while Janos rides on. He is waiting down the road and when I catch up with him, I tell him, rather smugly, that he missed the storks nest and the four storks. He then tells me he saw at least 15 flying overhead!

I even brought a long lens with me for scenes like this.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGreat photo! I hope we get to see some storks.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

On the way to Dinkelsbühl, our next stop on the Romantic Road, at Wilburgstetten we again cross the Wörnitz.

Wilburgstetten's coat of arms: The rake (in German rechen) comes from the coat of arms of the von Rechenberg family, the former local nobility. The mill wheel refers to the large number of former mills on the banks of the Wörnitz.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cuddling cows
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quiet streets as we enter Dinkelsbühl
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another lovely historic old town - many visitors are cyclists riding the Romantic Road.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Traditional farm house with barn attached and solar panels. They make environmental sense but they can ruin the looks of things.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In Feuchtwangen we have a room in the Hotel zum Lamm. It's location is perfect, on the main square and in spite of the crowds in the afternoon, it was very quiet in the evening. However, the hotel has seen better days and was rather shabby for the price. The next morning we recognize how poorly run it is. I suspect it might have been this way even before Corona added to the problems of running an old hotel. The building is old and renovations are costly.

Although it was a short ride, I'm tired. I am being careful to drink plenty of water, trying to keep any incipient infection at bay. Tap water is safe in Germany so I have an infinite supply. 

Pictures of Feuchtwangen will come tomorrow.

Here is the video that Janos made of the day.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 197 km (122 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0