“The desert is full of pointy things!” - I Am the Weakest Link - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2016

“The desert is full of pointy things!”

Day One: Antelope Wells, New Mexico to Hachita, New Mexico

We started off with breakfast at the Deming Hampton Inn, where no biscuits were provided. This was, of course, a minor hardship compared to the “roughing it” I’ll be engaged in over the next two months. The “roughing it” will include:

  • Sleeping on the ground, without my beloved buckwheat pillow.
  • Reducing my twice-daily showers to zero per day.
  • Somehow going to the bathroom in the deserts and forests where, I am informed, no actual bathrooms exist.

After breakfast we drove to the border crossing at Antelope Wells, which is very remote indeed, and started getting the bikes ready.

I rode my fully loaded bike about 100 feet before noticing a terrible shimmy and wobble that rendered the bike nearly unrideable. After 20 tense minutes, Joy the mechanic solved the problem by tightening a couple of bolts.

The day’s ride to the near-ghost-town of Hachita was hot and windy. This “boot heel” of New Mexico is extremely remote and empty. Virtually the only traffic we saw all day were border patrol agents and a few cowboys.

We stopped several times to rest, eat, drink, and apply sunscreen. Until the end of the day there wasn’t any vegetation tall enough to supply shade, but we still stopped a few times and sat in the collapsible camp chairs we’re carrying. Joy was carrying an umbrella, which, despite my pre-trip scoffing, proved useful.

I didn’t venture very far off the road during our stops — I had heard about the scorpions and venomous snakes in the area. Despite my caution, I was stabbed several times by thorns and prickly bushes. I shared my insight with Joy — “The desert is full of pointy things!”, but she didn’t seem very impressed by this revelation.

Several times we saw “dust devils”, which I’d read about but never seen. They’re pretty cool.

The headwinds grew strong as we reached the outskirts of Hachita, which is very nearly a ghost town. There are no open businesses, and only about 30 residents remain. Years ago, mining attracted enough people to support stores, hotels, groceries and saloons. Now there are more crumbling buildings than people in Hachita.

Our home for the night was the community center, where the residents generously allow touring cyclists to sleep. It has a bathroom, potable water, and a kitchen.

We sat up our tent inside the building. I’d heard there might be tarantulas inside.

Later, after dinner, we walked around around town, a walk which was shortened when a local man engaged us in a long conversation. He told us some interesting stuff about Hachita, but it was getting past our bedtime. The conversation finally ended after he attempted to “mansplain” to Joy the “correct” way to hang the clothesline upon which our bike clothes were drying. Joy has a very, very low tolerance for that sort of thing, and told the guy goodnight, we were going to bed.

At the start: The border crossing at Antelope Wells.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One mile done!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The beginning of the beard which would lead to some mild marital discord during the tour
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
We met this couple, who were just a few miles from finishing the route (they were riding North-to-South.) They had been doing a section of the route each year, and this was the last one.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMale Texas horned lizard.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/73905-Phrynosoma-cornutum
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mark BinghamJust in case you haven't gotten around to reading about this interesting creature, it can squirt blood from its eyes! It sounds like perfect material for a fantastic (ally terrible) sci-fi movie which involves lizards and mutations! From Bill's link:

The Texas horned lizard, along with at least three other species of the genus Phrynosoma, also has the ability to squirt an aimed stream of blood from the corners of the eyes and sometimes from its mouth at a distance up to 5 ft (1.5 m).
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezI purchased an umbrella to use on the Utah/Grand Canyon trip, but was shamed out of taking it. I should have been more like Joy!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeff LeeI definitely think the umbrella was worth taking. The foldable camp chairs we carried were also useful several times. But on my tours since this one, I've carried less stuff, and I don't need the front panniers anymore.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
A common sight along the road. Border patrol agents drag these tires behind their trucks so that they can see fresh footprints created by migrants crossing the border illegally.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Continental Divide Hiking Trail is a cousin of the Great Divide Mountain Biking Trail, and covers much of the same territory. Here, it crossed our route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the dust devils we saw. Not a great photo, but it wasn’t close to us, and I’m not carrying a zoom lens.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Welcome to Hachita!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Someone in Hachita has a sense of humor.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our home for the night in Hachita. This old building was once a large mercantile store.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 46 miles (74 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0