The demise of the lemon slice - Three Good Blokes tackle the Best of Victoria - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2022

The demise of the lemon slice

Edi Cutting to Yackandandah

Edi must be the home of the whip bird as they were out in force at first light. It’s another clear blue sky morning and rather cool. But a cup of tea, with a tomato juice chaser warms things up nicely. The fire helps as well.

Heart 0 Comment 0


The steaks last night were excellent. Desert was to be what was left of the lemon slice after the Newcastle cyclists had devoured two thirds of it. The slice was in Cherie’s favourite baking tin (given to her by my Hungarian Great  Aunt as a wedding present) and in a ziplock bag to boot. It was on a table just 3 metres behind us when a bloody fox raced out from the bush grabbed the lot and disappeared into the bush.

The cake tin is in there somewhere! I’m definitely doubling back to Corowa a buying Cherie that frock.
Heart 6 Comment 1

We’re on the road by 9am and it’s almost all dirt roads and rail trails. The first couple of hours we headed north east through heavily treed countryside, with hardly a car in sight.  It’s perfect cycling conditions in a pristine environment. The only thing missing is a roadside coffee vendor.  Eventually we get to Everton and joined the rail trail heading to Beechworth. Everton has a general store/cafe that specialises in trucking and hunting magazines and not in making cappuccino.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

It’s all uphill to Beechworth, but the gradient is steady and it seems no time at all that we’re in Beechworth. That might be because I drove most of that leg! From Beechworth it’s all downhill to Yackendandah on a relatively new rail trail and before we know it we’re downing the local brew in the Yack pub.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our campsite is a little out of town at the evocatively named ‘campsite number 9’.  We couldn’t access it as the creek crossing was flooded so we ended up camping at camp site number 2. Traditionally we set up camp straight away and then have a cleansing ale, but I was struggling to find my tent when it dawned on me that I’d left it at the last campsite. Luckily I had a spare tent as I brought my one man tent for the second week. It reminds me of the time my psychiatrist was counselling me on my weird psychosis where sometimes I thought I was a wig-wam and then I thought I was a tee-pee. She said I was too tense.

Tea anyone?
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 172 km (107 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierI gave you a heart for this entry DESPITE the awful pun. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dennis LangleyThanks Rich I agree it was pretty bad!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago