Le Tour de Beechworth - Three Good Blokes tackle the Best of Victoria - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2022

Le Tour de Beechworth

Beechworth to Beechworth (via Edi Cutting)

It was freezing overnight with a heavy dew so everything was dripping in the morning. Being deep in a valley didn’t help either as the sun took ages to poke through. The skies are clear and the birds are in full song.

Heart 4 Comment 0

My mate Chris from Sydney is joining us today for a few days riding so we’re doing a loop ride out of Beechworth whilst waiting for him. Lying in my tent last night I decided it would be worth driving back to Edi to see if my tent was still there so I left the other blokes and drove off. Surprisingly I got lost but did discover some beautiful dirt roads that did eventually wind their way to the King Valley and Edi campground. 

No tent unfortunately. Adding to the disappointment was that the fox hadn’t returned the cake tin. I drove back to Beechworth sensibly this time and got back in time for a famous Beechworth pie. The guys had done a mainly gravel loop through the hills and had got back not long before me.

After lunch we rode up to Stanley, a town known for its apple orchards and aggressive magpies. It’s a steady 350m climb up Mt Stanley and even better spin back down the hill into Beechworth for a well deserved ice cream. Chris turned up soon after having driven for most of the day.

Beechworth is an old gold mining town. We’re camping on Lake Sambal just on the outskirts. It’s full of grey nomads but we’ve got the camping area all to ourselves. And on an exciting note, the Beechworth Bazaar had a magnificent range of Damask table clothes, fully reversible and 100% flammable. They also had an unimpressive range of candles that turned out to only be about 25% flammable, but nevertheless completed the full dinner ensemble.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Climbing up to Stanley
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our Doctors bag with essential medicinal accoutrements.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Pete CoxGladstone bag!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The inside of said doctors bag.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Fine dining
Heart 6 Comment 0
Vale Marmot. You served me well.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 220 km (137 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0