Heading to Victoria - Three Good Blokes tackle the Best of Victoria - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2022

Heading to Victoria

Rain rain go away

The first week
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s six months since the 3 old blokes (Pete, Steve and your humble scribe) conquered the Tasmania Trail so another trip was beckoning. This time we’re driving down to the Victorian border town of Corowa and doing a circuitous route through the Victorian high country.  It’s a region I’ve cycled many times, and for good reason. It’s a pristine and spectacular part of Australia, sparsely populated with quiet roads and secluded campsites. 

We’ll have a support vehicle for the first week to help get us over the big hills without having to carry all our gear and food. Our loop takes us back towards Albury where we’ll leave Pete’s trusty (?) 4WD and ride self supported winding our way south ending up in Melbourne a week later.

As I write in the car passing the ‘Dog on the Tuckerbox’ near Gundagai it is tipping down and there’s plenty of flood watches so this might be a soggy trip with some detours to avoid flooded roads. The one place we’re not missing is Bonnie Doon (The Castle). I’m going to milk that day for all its worth with a litany of Darryl Kerrigan quotes.

A rare stop for coffee on our last trip in Tassy.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The rain stopped mid afternoon thankfully and there’s even some sunshine so hopefully tomorrow we can launch our bikes. The Murray is in full flow, and the Dartmouth dam is overflowing for the first time in 26 years. That water all flows into the Mitta Mitta river that we’ll be following later this week. Maybe some damp camping spots ahead.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0