Day 94 - Maumee, OH to Bowling Green, OH - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2020

Day 94 - Maumee, OH to Bowling Green, OH

Heart 1 Comment 0

Our route today took us on the Wabash Cannonball Trail South Fork to Neapolis.  On the way, we passed through the Village of Whitehouse.  It is one of those great trail towns where the railroad - now the trail - runs right through the heart of town.  There is a good bike shop there where Kerry borrowed a tool to adjust the chain and bought some chain lube.  

Trail through the center of town
Heart 1 Comment 0
And a very important trail town amenity, trailside ice cream
Heart 1 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedI bet you stopped there, regardless of the time. Dairy for breakfast!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The Whitehouse trailhead
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Wabash caboose
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view of downtown Whitehouse
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mural on the bike shop
Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode to the end of the Wabash Cannonball Trail near Neapolis and took quiet country roads to Providence, where we got on the Towpath Trail.

The Wabash trail was great. We saw a number of other cyclists and walkers today.
Heart 3 Comment 1

The Towpath Trail follows an old canal towpath along the Erie and Miami Canal, opened in 1843.  A dam was built at Providence to help provide water for the canal which ran right beside the Maumee River.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The Providence Roller Dam on the Maumee River
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Maumee River down river from the dam
Heart 1 Comment 0

While we were visiting the dam site, we met some cyclists from Sylvania, Ohio.  Two of them, Paul and Julie, are snowbirds in south Florida.  They were very interested in finding about about Florida trails.  We hope they will call us when they get to Florida this winter.

Leslie, Julie and Paul
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lee belongs to Leslie.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Towpath Trail is about nine miles long and runs from Providence to Waterville.

Trail map
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

The surface is crushed stone which is well maintained and easy to ride.

Any hazards on the trail are well marked.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first thing we came to on the trail was the old Lock 44.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Here are some more views along the trail.

Heart 2 Comment 0

There were places where you got nice views of the river from the towpath.

Maumee River
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bridge across the canal
Heart 2 Comment 0
Trail view
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonLooks like autumn is just around the corner!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Cool old bridge across the Maumee
Heart 1 Comment 0

Near terminus of the trail at Waterville was a park with campsites.  The bathrooms had vivid murals.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After we got off the trail, we rode the last ten miles to Bowling Green on a busy two lane shoulder-less road.  It wasn't much fun, but we made it to our hotel without any problems.  It was a good day to receive a warm welcome.  The front desk clerk was friendly and helpful, as was her manager, who helped with a gift card we had and made sure we got a wonderful, very large room.  Then we met these guys.  They wanted to be sure there wasn't anything else we needed and that we were completely happy.  It turns out that Todd, the general manager, is the grandson of the original owner/developer of the hotel.  We enjoyed talking with him.  It was nice to be welcomed so enthusiastically by everyone.

Todd and Brandon
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 3,107 miles (5,000 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lou Harmingood to meet cordial hosts. look forward to seeing you both.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago