Day 93 - Defiance, OH to Maumee, OH - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2020

Day 93 - Defiance, OH to Maumee, OH

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a good ride today with some rail-trail miles at the end.  The first half was low traffic farm country, which was peaceful and relaxing.

I finally got a picture of some goats.  We've seen  goat pens here and there, but we usually get by too quick for me to get a picture and I hate to turn around.

Goats enjoying the morning
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few miles in, we saw this perplexing thing.  This large building, with a wide ramp from the street, was out all by itself.  There was really nothing around.  There were a number of cars parked underneath.  We couldn't guess what it's use might be.

A new, windowless building with cars parked below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looks like quite a loading ramp.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Here is my best barn photo from today.

Old farm outbuildings
Heart 2 Comment 0
And, a new one, too, just for variety
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw several fields planted in young crops today.  Kerry thinks this looks like sugar beets.

Just starting to grow - beets?
Heart 1 Comment 0

About halfway through today's route, we went through Wauseon, OH.  There was a lot of truck traffic on a two lane state highway, which was rather unpleasant.  Once we got through town and back out in the country, it was fine.

In Wauseon, we got on the Wabash Cannonball Trail for a short distance.  The North Fork of the Wabash Cannondale runs from Wauseon to Maumee but not all of it is paved.  Just outside of Wauseon we left the trail, planning to rejoin it further east when we reached the paved section.  

Within the city limits of Wauseon, the Wabash Cannonball Trail is paved.
Heart 1 Comment 0

On the way toward Maumee, we had good quiet roads with low traffic, so we didn't really miss being on the trail.  

We came across this home built into the earth.  There are vents and two large skylights on top.  We didn't want to be nosy, so we didn't stop to take a closer look.  It was interesting to see.

An earth covered home
Heart 1 Comment 0
A photogenic old silo
Heart 2 Comment 0

Along the way, Kerry kept thinking about trying to get on the trail.  It was just about 1/4 mile to the left of our route.

Kerry twice took a road to the left only to find the trail closed. It appeared that it has been very recently paved, but not yet open for use.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the third place he tried, he went around the barricade onto the trail.

Prohibited trail use!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
After less than a mile, we came to this tree blocking the trail. We easily rode around it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just past this tree, we saw the construction guys working ahead.  Kerry was able to detour back over to the road.  It was less than two miles before we got back on the trail where it was open to all.

The Wabash Cannonball Trail open for use!
Heart 1 Comment 0

This man stopped to talk to us at a trailhead where we had stopped.  We had a good time talking to him and enjoyed his company for several miles up the trail.

It was great meeting you, Mark.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we'll ride some more miles on the Wabash Cannonball Trail and then try a towpath trail along the Maumee River before heading down to Bowling Green.

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 3,066 miles (4,934 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0