Day 95 - Bowling Green, OH to Fostoria, OH - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2020

Day 95 - Bowling Green, OH to Fostoria, OH

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had a very good ride today.  It was short and flat - always a good thing for me - with scenic trails and good roads.  We also got to meet another RANS tandem couple.  It is always a special treat to talk to other tandem riders.

It was raining when we got up this morning and we arranged for a late check out, but by 10AM the rain had stopped.  Since we only had 36 miles to go, a late start wasn't a problem.  We were on the road by 10:30AM.  This first part of the route was on the Slippery Elm Trail.  It was a nice combination of wooded and open.  Kerry had to be careful to avoid the puddles.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

This field of beans is full of what I have learned were morning glories.  I understand that they can be a real nuisance, but they are very pretty.

Morning glories in the soybeans
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the trailhead in North Baltimore, we met Tom and Jane from Bowling Green.  They ride a RANS Screamer.  We had a wonderful time talking with them about tandems,  cycle touring and Warm Showers.  We don't get to meet many other RANS tandem owners, so it was a real treat.

Tom and Jane
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rich McKayWell, lookie thar! It's one of them funny two-people bikes!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We got plenty of time to examine this mural in North Baltimore.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerGreat mural - love it.
Thanks for all the pics you have taken on this trip.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

This train slowed and finally stopped on the North Baltimore crossing next to the mural.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We didn't count cars, but it was a VERY long train.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Our next destination was that Marathon station just across the tracks.  So near, yet so far...

Heart 1 Comment 0

We also watched this rabbit exploring under the train.  We were glad to see it hop off before the train started again.

Is it a jack rabbit??
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was about 20 minutes before the train starting moving again.  We finally made it to the Marathon station for our drink and snack.  While we were there two more trains went by.  The staff told Kerry that trains pass about every 10 minutes all day.  To get back on route, we had to cross the same tracks a short distance down the road.  We hap to stop for another train.  This one was car after car  carrying large slabs of steel.

Heart 1 Comment 0

From North Baltimore to Fostoria, we had good, very quiet, roads.  

A barn for today
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cows watching us roll by.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerWhat were you doing that they all turned their heads?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

In Fostoria, we stopped at a place called the Fostoria Iron Triangle Rail Park.  It is located at the intersection of three rail mainlines and 80-100 trains go by each day.  It is one of the most visited train watching parks in the country.  Kerry's observations below.

Train spotters waiting for the next train. One gentleman was writing down all of the NSC locomotive numbers. He said he had recorded all but about 100 of the NSC fleet. I guess it's like bird watching.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A spur joining the mainline in the Iron Triangle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two double track main lines at a grade-level crossing. Looking down CSX tracks , as they cross NSC tracks. CSX is responsible for maintaining this particular crossing. While we were here, there was a CSX crew working just to the right of this photo.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerI have never seen an intersection like that.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Michael and Diane RuddockThanks for all the great railway information.......can't get too much.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
A mixed freight NSC consist approaches. It was a short train, only about 40 cars. Yesterday, in Bowling Green, I talked to a CSX Conductor that was on layover waiting for his next train. He told me that he is running trains that are 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 miles long.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 3,143 miles (5,058 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0