Day 69 - Neillsville, WI to Wisconsin Rapids, WI - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2020

Day 69 - Neillsville, WI to Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Heart 2 Comment 0

We left Neillsville this morning with comfortable temperatures, blue skies and a 0% chance of rain.  It was a beautiful day.  We're back to riding past large farms.  I think the only crops we saw growing were corn and soybeans.  There were also some dairy farms.  If you're tired of barns, silos, fields and horses, you may not find today's photos very entertaining.

WI 73 is a good cycling road between Neillsville and Wisconsin Rapids.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A large dairy operation
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
There are Sandhill Cranes - two adults and two juveniles
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rich McKayDid these birds make a left turn at Albuquerque?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

After a few miles, we came to a sign saying "Road Construction next 8.2 miles".  It was all constructed except for finishing the shoulders.  We had 8.2 smooth and beautiful miles.  At the very end, there was a single lane section where shoulder work was being done.  The flag person allowed us to get all the way through before allowing any cars behind us.  Thank you for respecting cyclists!

Brand new pavement, unfinished shoulders
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at the Roadhouse Bar and Grill.  There were only two other patrons, so we felt comfortable eating inside.  

The Roadhouse Bar and Grill. That is not a real tree on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The guy sitting nearest to us struck up a conversation about cycling.  He is a cyclist and he and Kerry had to go out and look over the Seavo.  We enjoyed talking with him and we hope he'll come to see us in Florida sometime.

Jeff - it was nice to meet you and THANKS for treating us to lunch!
Heart 2 Comment 0

More scenery from after lunch...

A collapsing barn
Heart 3 Comment 0
When I was little and said "Hey" to someone in front of my grandmother, she would always say "Hay is for horses". She never broke me saying hey. This picture made me think of her.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerSounds very familiar - been there done that.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
This grandmother was also one of the family who always stamped white horses. I got to make two wishes here.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We encountered another stretch of road construction in the afternoon.   Most of it was completed, but we had to ride a single lane section where they were paving the other lane.

We had to ride on the tack coat. Even though it was shiny, apparently it had dried, because we didn't end up with tar all over the tires.
Heart 2 Comment 0
They were paving the other side as we went by.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Again, the flagman held the vehicle traffic until we finished riding through.

I noticed this "topless" silo.  I wonder how it was damaged.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Another topless silo had a tree growing in it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And this blue holding tank was growing grass.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took the scenic into Wisconsin Rapids along the Wisconsin River.  There were some large homes and a lovely riverfront park.

The Wisconsin River at Wisconsin Rapids
Heart 2 Comment 0

The lodgings we've stayed in have had a wide variation of COVID response measures.  From breakfast to the pool and exercise room to room amenities,  each place seems to have their own policies.  What one place prohibits, the next one has no issue with, but prohibits something different.  We're in another Cobblestone Inn tonight.  They're using a COVID response we've never seen.

We saw this red sticker as we approached our room.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is what it says. Would this make you believe that the room was cleaner than one at another hotel without a sticker? I call this silly.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Rich McKayRemember when motel rooms came with a paper seal around the toilet seat and lid that said "Sanitized for Your Protection"?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayI thought of the same thing when I saw this sticker!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike ObermeyerI guess it makes management feel better.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Kerry here... Just to put a point on what Jeanna said about varying standards, when we checked in to the Super-8 in Neillsville yesterday, the door to our room was propped open and the window was also open.  Maybe airing out the room also sanitizes it - who knows.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 2,128 miles (3,425 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerA tour to remember, covid
Reply to this comment
3 years ago