Day 68 - Osseo, WI to Neillsville, WI - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2020

Day 68 - Osseo, WI to Neillsville, WI

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a short ride today, all along a state highway.  There wasn't too much to see along the way.  I took just a few pictures.

Wisconsin 10 We passed only one town in 30 miles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We've been seeing these round top barns in the last few days.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw a few cows, but no big herds or farms.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most cows do this when we ride by them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But this one was curious and walked toward us as we went by.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just before we got to our overnight stop in Neillsville, we visited the Highground Veterans Memorial Park.

It had the only memorial to military service dogs that I recall seeing.

Heart 1 Comment 0

There were a number of other tributes honoring men and women who served in wars from WWII to the present.  The most moving an meaningful, to me, was the Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans tribute.  I copied the paragraph below from their website.

"The Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Tribute “Fragments” was the first tribute installed in 1988.  “Fragments” is a complex piece at the apex of The Highground’s main plaza. Cast in bronze, the statue features a female figure holding a poncho that signifies the burden of the 1,244 Wisconsin service personnel who died in Vietnam. The name of each of those men and women is inscribed on bundles of bamboo-shaped bronze rods mixed with wind chimes. The individual names are never meant to be read but to be heard over the hillsides as the wind blows. None of the figures are completed in the statue, they all flow into one; and much like in war, they are dependent on each other and strengthen each other. A rifle in the statue is turned upside down, a symbol that a Medivac is needed. A piece of orange glass embedded in the rifle signifies Agent Orange, a chemical used in Vietnam that cost many soldiers their health or lives."

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of the park volunteers pointed out the dog tags that had been hung on the statue.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We enjoyed out short day and have been working on plans for the next couple of weeks.  I think I'd much rather have a more developed plan before we leave home - this takes too much time.  But planning as we go is still much better than not going at all!

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 2,079 miles (3,346 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0