Day 70 - Wisconsin Rapids, WI to Adams, WI - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2020

Day 70 - Wisconsin Rapids, WI to Adams, WI

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a dark and stormy morning, but we were able to wait until 11:30 to leave, so we missed most of the rain.  

We set out under this sky, hearing frequent distant rumbles of thunder.
Heart 2 Comment 0

At around seven miles, we had about five minutes of moderate rain.  Shortly after that, we started to see a little light ahead.  It seems that the storm was ahead of us, because although we stayed dry after the brief shower, the road stayed really wet until after we stopped for lunch.

There is hope ahead!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We went past these fields and Kerry said it looked like they were growing rice.  He was wrong.  These are cranberry bogs.

If we came back in six weeks, we'd see magnificent fields of red.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The clouds are breaking up a little.  This is a view of the north part of Lake Petenwell, a man-made lake that is the second largest body of water in Wisconsin.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view of Petenwell Lake
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode along the lake shore for several miles and stopped for lunch at the Petenwell Pub. 

The view from the pub. I lightened the picture to show more detail, but there was a little sun by then.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We made another stop ten miles down the road from the pub.  CB Sales in Arkdale, WI turned out to be a Polish grocery.  There were some American products as well, but it was mostly Polish.  If any of you have Polish heritage, you may enjoy a couple of pictures.

There were many varieties of herring fillets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Assorted varieties of pork in jars.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a town on the Natchez Trace in Mississippi called Kosciusko. It is named for a Polish-born general who served in the Continental Army during the American Revolution. Are his descendants in the condiment business?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike AylingHe has a mountain named after him in Australia as well.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
And, of course, there were Polish adult beverages.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We're in a roadside "Mom and Pop" motel in the little town of Adams tonight.  We couldn't roll the bike into the room here, but the owner put it in her attached garage, so all is well.  Tomorrow's forecast calls for a high of 88 and scattered thunderstorms after 4PM.  That will be a good motivation to get up and on the road and not be too lazy in the morning.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 2,168 miles (3,489 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonSome really nice photographs today. You must have gotten your new camera by now?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonCompliments on photographs mean a lot coming from you! I got the new camera just about three days after the first one was damaged.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago