Day 5 - Ridgeland, MS to French Camp, MS - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2020

Day 5 - Ridgeland, MS to French Camp, MS

Another fine, but long, day

Heart 0 Comment 0

Another fine cycling day.  Once again there was a high chance of rain, and once again we stayed dry.  The only downside of today's ride was the lack of places to stop, but Jeanna saved the day.  According to Ride-with-GPS there was a C-Store just off route at mile 36.  Our scout Jeanna drove ahead with plans to meet us there.  Unlike yesterday where a store was closed, there was no store at all!.  Being the trouper that she is, Jeanna turned around and met us at one of the historical marker pull-offs and provided liquids and snacks.  I really could get used to having SAG Support :-).

Even though today's segment was the 2nd longest  (83+ miles) of the trip, it   was by far the flattest , with an average elevation gain of only 23 feet per mile.   I'm sure I'll be dreaming of that when we reach Tennessee!

Turtle Rescue of the day!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our SAG break happened to be in the middle of a 4.5 mile zone of destruction.  According to a parkway employee we met further down the road, there was a severe storm that hit in March of this year.  He said that it took 2 crews (one working from the north end, and the other working from the south end) four days to clear the road.  He also said that on the 2nd day of clean-up, they saw a man walking with his dog emerge from the disaster zone.  The gentleman had been camping overnight at a pull-off  when the storm struck and had been trapped.  Fortunately, his vehicle escaped damage and he wasn't injured.  

There were downed trees like these for 4.5 miles
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is the pull-off that was in the middle of the storm area. It was barricaded off, but I guided Jeanna around the barricades so we could enjoy our break. I'll let nothing come between me and my Diet Coke!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerSAG Jeanna, you are amazing. Are you listening some tunes as you travel?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithSome tunes, but mostly just driving slowly and appreciating the scenery.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Will they bale around the bales?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Only 300 more miles to go!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Even if you look closely, you won't see the turtle. He was a little camera shy and dove underwater before I could get the shot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water tupelo. While enjoying the view of the swamp and trees, we learned that Mississippi swamps also contain very large snakes. It's been a long time since I've jumped so high and far! Lest you think I was the only one startled, John jumped in the other direction as the snake went right between us.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We reached our destination in French Camp, shortly after 5 PM.  After a quick beak and shower, we enjoyed a fine meal on the deck of the Council House Cafe.

The friendly mascot of the Council House Cafe in French Camp. She was quite active, going from table to table looking for treats.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Scenes from the French Camp Academy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

CliffsNotes from the Parkway.  To avoid copyright infringement, they will be hereafter known as KerryNotes :-)

Milepost 106
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 107
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 107
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 108
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 108
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 108
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 122
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 122
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 128
Heart 2 Comment 0
Milepost 128
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 128
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 128
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 128
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 128
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milepost 135
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milepost 140
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milepost 140
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milepost 175. What the sign doesn't say is that it will also take you through snakeland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milepost 176
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milepost 180
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milepost 180
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 84 miles (135 km)
Total: 200 miles (322 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0