Day 38 - Redwood Falls, MN to Willmar, MN - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2020

Day 38 - Redwood Falls, MN to Willmar, MN

Heart 2 Comment 0

We got a late start this morning because it took us some time to repack everything we'd taken out of our panniers after our dousing yesterday.  We still had to repack some damp things.  I could have dried stuff at the hotel last night, but I really thought it would dry in the room.  Wrong!

Our late start was further delayed by the "Road Closed" sign just about half a mile from the beginning.  This appeared to be a serious closure, so we didn't even try going on down the road.  Kerry stopped at a local business and learned that the closure was due to a bridge out over the Minnesota River, so we definitely would not have been able to get through.  We learned that we could just follow the state highway to our destination in Willmar.  

The route wasn't terrible, but the road shoulder was very cracked and uneven.  It was a bouncy ride!   Kerry took the roadway part of the time, but there was enough traffic that it was safer to stay on the shoulder.

The Minnesota River from the bridge on State Hwy 71
Heart 3 Comment 0
Miles and miles and miles of corn fields - just as we've passed for days and days and days.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerHope you had some corn for din din....
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Poultry houses again
Heart 1 Comment 0
This farmer was harrowing his field. He gave a friendly wave as we rode by.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our first stop was in the town of Olivia.  Olivia calls itself the "Corn Capital of the World" and decorates its light poles accordingly.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Rich McKayI'm kind of surprised that you didn't give an honorable mention to what looks like the top of a silo providing shade for the park bench...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayYou're very observant! I didn't even notice that.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Also in Olivia is the Lakeland Bean Co. I read that they "condition" navy beans here. I was not able to find out what "conditioning" beans means.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Kerry here...  Had to look it up, but conditioning means the process of removing foreign material, broken beans, stones, and off-colored beans.  Another fun fact is that the U.S. is the worlds leading producer of dried beans.  Fun fact #3 - Dried beans refers to all beans except green and soy.

Daily cow photo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Green
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our second stop was at this c-store and market near Blomkest, MN.  

Taking a break at Mel's
Heart 2 Comment 0
Indoor dining not allowed, but they let us sit inside to have our tea. We learned that Judy and her husband (Mel?) travel to Webster, Florida every winter to sell at the flea market. Sometimes, granddaughter Nona gets to go along.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tractor with wheel/track combo
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry recognized this crop as sugar beets.

Minnesota is the leading producer of sugar beets in the USA.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some swimmers enjoying the pond on a hot afternoon.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,025 miles (1,650 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0