Day 29 - Manchester, IA to Fayette, IA - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2020

Day 29 - Manchester, IA to Fayette, IA

Heart 2 Comment 0

Mother Nature was good to us today!  We had tailwinds the entire ride.  We also had white clouds floating in blue skies and temperatures in the mid-80's.  How could it be better?

We left Manchester at a civilized 9:30AM for a 40 mile ride to Fayette.  There were plenty of ups and downs, but the tailwinds made it much easier.

The roads were almost deserted on Sunday morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Everyone was having a lazy morning.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWonder if they had their coffee!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

About ten miles into the ride, the terrain changes to something more like northern Wisconsin than Iowa.   We rode through several miles of dense woods before the farms and fields resumed.

Not the Iowa we've been experiencing
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were soon seeing more typical scenes.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerScenes like these give you faith that all the challenges of these days will GO AWAY!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Team Anderson posts a lot of images, similar to this one, taken by Scott with Rachael just a small figure in the distance. They are great pictures, but I can't do that.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonHa, ha. I was puzzled by this until seeing the next photo. Wayne we should try this. It would definitely make it easier to keep up with Rachael.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
This is as far away as Kerry can get from me. That is (almost) always a wonderful thing!
Heart 4 Comment 1

Our first stop was in the town of Lamont.  The main street had several seemingly abandoned buildings...

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerBOY this image says a lot! (Look at the flag and the building.....wow)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

but it also had this, which we could use more of everywhere!

Heart 5 Comment 0

Ten miles later, we stopped in Arlington.  We were excited to learn we had reached the prairie!  The elevation profiles on the next couple of days' routes don't look very prairie-like, though.

Heart 3 Comment 0

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, we had a great tailwind all day.  These flags were to our left, pointing  the way for us.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry, however, didn't use his head to prevent any riding into a headwind today.  1.5 miles  (downhill) from our stop, he realized he had forgotten his helmet.  He actually wanted me to share the blame because I should have seen he wasn't wearing it.

Kerry here.. Yeah, I forgot my helmet, but compare this photo to the previous headshot. Don'tcha think my stoker should have noticed something?? :-)
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rich McKayIt's not HER fault you put the Headsweats on backwards in the other photo...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerI think you guys need a break! Listen to some Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton or something.....gush. Here is a link to help you both out (you know friend to friend).
https://vimeo.com/149008358?fbclid=IwAR2hYOyVxdG0U9H39MdkOZOIOqLmc3cTaJnqaloZk3gbhLm7KBln4ecXYU4
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Back up the hill and into the wind we went and retrieved his helmet right where I had caused him to leave it :-).  

This time the flags are on our right.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerI think he went back into the headwind on purpose ????
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

On the way out of Arlington the second time, I got a picture of these old tractors up for auction.

Heart 3 Comment 0

We weren't sure what was housed in these buildings as we came to them.  As soon as we rode past, it was clear they were raising pigs here.   

Heart 1 Comment 0
We haven't seen many roadside wildflowers so far on this trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Is this a memorial to a beloved family member?
Heart 4 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerI like a little rust on my old trucks - that's just me.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerI'll calling the "Pickers"
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

And here we are in Fayette, IA home to the Upper Iowa University Peacocks.

Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 662 miles (1,065 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lou HarminYOU ARE STILL RIDING AND I AM STILL READING. BUT I LOVE YOUR STORIES. KEEP GOING STRONG!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerYou guys inspired me to open my Heavy Rescue journal....thanks. 398 days away.....heheheehhee
Reply to this comment
3 years ago