Day 105 - St. Marys, OH Loop 3 - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2020

Day 105 - St. Marys, OH Loop 3

Around Grand Lake

Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry made us a route to ride around Grand Lake.  This ride was quite different from our many days of almost nothing but farms.  The lake has a substantial amount of residential development - from RV and mobile parks to upscale homes.

Grand Lake was built in the early 1800's as a reservoir for the Miami and Erie Canal, connecting Lake Erie and the Ohio River.  At one time, it was the largest man made lake in the world.  It remains the largest inland lake in Ohio.  In 1890, oil was discovered in the area and an oil derrick was erected in the lake in 1891, making it the site of the first offshore oil drilling.

Grand Lake is a very popular recreational lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lake is very shallow, averaging 5-7 feet in depth.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Grand Lake became on of Ohio's first state parks in 1949.

There is a very nice - and well used - State Park campground at St. Marys.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Streets along the lake are lined with everything from old trailers to large homes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lovely spot for watching the lake
Heart 1 Comment 0

We didn't know there was a Montezuma, Ohio until today.

Our Seavo was born in Montezuma, Kansas.  When she was just a baby, we took her to Montezuma, IN.

In 2018 we rode through Montezuma, IN.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now she has visited her third Montezuma!
Heart 2 Comment 0

In Montezuma, Ohio, we unexpectedly found a good trail.  The Franklin Township Greenway Trail stretched for several miles along our route.

We just love smooth asphalt!
Heart 2 Comment 0
And, the trail even has a covered bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just a couple of miles before the end of our ride, we went past the St. Marys State Fish Hatchery.  It was first constructed in 1913 and now covers 160 acres with 23 fish rearing ponds.

Hatchery ponds. We have no idea what they're rearing - yet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of them seemed to be waterfowl feeding ponds today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

According to the hatchery website they are open to the public during weekdays, so we are planning to go back and visit before we leave St. Marys.

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 3,504 miles (5,639 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lou HarminGreat and interesting ride.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago