Day 103 - St. Marys, OH Loop 1 - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2020

Day 103 - St. Marys, OH Loop 1

To Spencerville

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we rode a loop north from St. Marys.  It was a good ride, but there was not a single ray of sunshine all day.  Morning fog gave way to all day 100% cloud cover.  There were just a few light sprinkles, but no real rain.  The high must have been in the low 70's.  Fall is surely upon us in Ohio!

Old barn
Heart 4 Comment 0

Kerry saw this ahead and thought it was a cement plant.  When we got closer, we saw the sign which said "Sandkuhl Clay Works".

A clay plant in Kossuth, Ohio
Heart 1 Comment 0

Some of their production stacked outside.

Some of their production
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The old town school, now part of a community center.

Heart 1 Comment 0

In the town of Spencerville, we stopped for lunch at The Little Kozy.  It was both and had pretty good food.  

This family was enjoying their lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mike and Doug wanted to hear about our trip. Doug said it's the way he wanted to spend his retirement.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Not long after lunch, we got to experience the aromas of a large swine operation.

Heart 2 Comment 0
We love flat roads!
Heart 3 Comment 0

South of our last stop at Mendon, Ohio, we saw the first corn harvested we've seen this year.

A good view of corn being loaded into a truck
Heart 1 Comment 0
A harvested section
Heart 1 Comment 0
The harvestor
Heart 1 Comment 0

Near the end of the ride, I thought I saw a large llama in a pen.  I was close!

A pair of camels
Heart 1 Comment 0

And, on down the road, a we saw this big friendly fellow.  It would have been fun to stop and visit, but his owner called him back.

A very friendly, very large dog.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 3,428 miles (5,517 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rich McKayYou know... if one forgets to read this blog for a day or two, suddenly one finds that they need to read 33 entries to catch up and be "current". The expression "out of sight, out of mind" certainly applies here!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rich McKayTo Rich McKayIf you would just come home, I wouldn't have to try (and fail) to remember to read this blog!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Alain AbbateI may have missed it on some earlier entry, but I've been wondering why you changed your original plan to take the ferry across Lake Michigan? That seemed like a great option, and there are lots of good bike paths in Michigan to explore.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateWe have changed our minds so many times on this trip, I have to try to remember the decision not to go to Michigan. I think it was a combination of a strong desire for flat terrain and having ridden most of the Michigan route before. There may have been something else that wasn't working out in Michigan, but I'm not sure.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayWe'll be home soon - about two more weeks. It's about time to get back to Florida. We'll let you know when we're home.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago