Day 102 - Bluffton, OH to St. Marys, OH - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2020

Day 102 - Bluffton, OH to St. Marys, OH

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a nice ride from Bluffton to St. Marys today.  It was still very foggy when we left Bluffton about 10:45.

A short ride on the Lions Way Trail again
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was very foggy over the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We left Bluffton a different way than we rode yesterday.  Main St. leaving downtown was lined with some very nice and colorful homes.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerLove all the old houses - brings back memories
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

It didn't take long to leave Bluffton behind and head into the country.  This misty fog made me think I might hear distant bagpipes and see Gene Kelly walking toward a faint village just becoming visible.

Is there a Scottish HIghlands village just starting to appear?
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few miles south of Bluffton, we came to a "Road Closed" sign.  You know what comes next - Kerry rode right through and we made it almost two miles before we came to the place where the road really was closed for paving.  With the luck that seems to follow Kerry, there was a turn right at that spot that gave us an easy detour back to the route.  I think we gained less than 1/2 mile on the detour.

When we reached Lima, there was a trail to take us through the town.  The Rotary Riverwalk Trail runs along the Ottawa River.  It is not a rail-trail and had several short, steep grades.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry thinks is an evaporation pond of some kind along the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Ottawa River at Lima is not very scenic, at least where it runs through Lima.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Recent heavy rain may have contributed to the muddy water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
About half way through town, we encountered detour signs. It was a small aggravation making our way around this construction, but we found the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
For those of you who love autumn, it's on the way here!
Heart 2 Comment 0

On the south side of Lima, we found some serious heavy industry.  Lima is the site of the Husky Oil Refinery, INEOS Chemicals and Nutrien, all of which we rode by on the trail.  

The refinery in Lima has been in continuous operation since 1886 and has had several owners. Husky Energy, the current owner, bought the refinery in 2007. The refinery currently processes 165,000 bbl of crude a day and employs 470 people.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Besides Husky employees, over 500 contractors are on site on an average day. This was one of several construction projects we saw while riding past the plant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A large refinery requires a large amount of electricity :-)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Leaving Lima behind, we soon returned to more bucolic surroundings.

This is my picture postcard farm today.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerWhere did you find that postcard? Just kidding!!!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
A photo worthy red barn
Heart 3 Comment 0

We continue to see many of the man made ponds people seem to use primarily for "swimming holes". 

This is one of the largest we've seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And unlike all the others which have been oval shaped, this one has more natural contours.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our plan now is to take a cue from the Andersons and park ourselves here in St. Marys for several days.  Kerry has made some loop routes from here that look like good rides.  We get to enjoy the ease of riding unloaded and not packing, unpacking and checking in and out of a different lodging every day.  It is a perfect way to spend some aimless days.

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 3,382 miles (5,443 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Lou Harminaimless days are good days. CR is still warm into the 90s
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike ObermeyerEnjoy yourselves you've earned it. Yes 90's every day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago