Serendipitous Day - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2021

Serendipitous Day

Balladonia to Fraser Range Camp

The highlights of today were meetings on the road.
First with  Trevor from Nowa Nowa. Then with Gary Woods and Mark Dunstan from Canberra.

We’ve met a few other long distance cycle tourers over the past few weeks, but Trev’s story is the most unusual so far.

Trev is from Nowa Nowa in beautiful East Gippsland. His partner Grace lost her house and property in the catastrophic S.E forest bushfires 17 months ago, so she’s decided to move back to Perth.

Trev helped Grace move and drove the long haul car trip with her to Perth, but now he needs to return to Gippsland and leave the car with Grace in Perth. However Trev does not want to risk being caught up in the risk of cancelled flights, and he especially does not want to be locked-in by any surprise two-week hotel quarantine if there’s another Covid outbreak.

Trev’s solution? 
He bought a basic, off-the-shelf Malvern Star treadlie in Perth, made some panniers and racks and is well on his way to Gippsland. Trev turns 70 years old later this year.

More serendipity layer in the day with a wonderful chance meeting while I was pedalling along a remote part of the Eyre Highway (100 km from Norseman) was the other highlight of today.  A grey Peugeot with hail damaged panels and A.C.T. plates pulled up, the passenger leans out and says, “Hi Graham”.

Out stepped Gary Woods, a friend and work colleague from when I worked at Questacon about 10 years ago. With Gary was another Canberra acquaintance (Mark Dunstan) from when I was a teacher many, many  years ago. It really is a small world. Gary and I worked together for a long time. It was wonderful to see him.

Yes it’s a golf course, or at least part of a golf course claimed to be longest golf course in the world. The holes are hundreds of kilometres apart.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Information panel explains what the golf hole is about
Heart 0 Comment 0
The remarkable Trevor from Nowa Nowa. He’s cycling 3,600 km to avoid the risk of mandatory hotel quarantine which could happen if he flies home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s dry out here
Heart 1 Comment 0
Typical of today’s road later in the day. The notable feature are the trees as the route enters The Great Western Woodland.
Heart 1 Comment 2
John SaxbyThe view reminds me of many roads I travelled in Central/Southern Africa, Graham. Road surface is in vastly better nick, tho'!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo John SaxbyJohn the Eyre Highway surface has been remarkably good for the 1200km we rode it. Considering the hammering it takes from massive road trains there were very few potholes. The shoulders vary from great to non-existence.
Today we are expecting a bad road with sandy shoulders and mining trucks north from Norseman. Fingers crossed there will be less trucks working on a weekend.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Chance meeting on the Eyre Highway with old friend and former work colleague Gary Woods.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mark and Gary even made us afternoon tea with their car camping set up. Hot buttered toasted rolls and real coffee. So good!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking north west from Fraser Range. Grand view over a vast area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After the seemingly endless flatness of The Nullarbor, stony hillocks are extra interesting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small ants build massive nests out here on Fraser Range
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunset at our Fraser Range camp
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fraser Range roadside camp.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 2,970 km (1,844 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0