The End of the Eyre - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2021

The End of the Eyre

Fraser’s Range camp to Norseman

We’ve done it! We’ve ridden The Nullarbor! By arriving in Norseman, we’ve covered the classic Nullarbor crossing route from east to west. 

Dawn to dusk with 200km of pedalling over the past two days  (Days 32-33) and we’ve found the western end of the Eyre Highway at a T-junction in the small mining, someone faded  town of Norseman.

We’ve also now completed the most remote, most water-stressed section of the ride. It’ll be good not to have to plan water load on the bikes so carefully from now on.

We even saw a power line this afternoon. Before we know it, there’ll be traffic lights and roundabouts to negotiate.🙂

This morning we had another chance meeting on the Eyre Highway with a cycle tourer. Peter from Batemans Bay. He was riding a state of the art titanium mountain bike well equipped with gear. Notably it even had a rear facing mini radar unit to detect and sound an alarm when vehicles were approaching within 150 metres.

We found accommodation in The Norseman Pub. A classic mining town pub. Very basic but clean and functional. 

Dawn through the woodlands at the Fraser Range camp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Magnificent gum trees here. Tall trees are still a novelty after cycling The Nullarbor
Heart 2 Comment 0
Duly Noted
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peter the professional white water rafter and kayaker. He’s from Batemans Bay and doing his second ride across Australia. After the first time, he swore he’d never do it again because it was such a torturously hot, wind blasted ride. But he’s back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peter’s impressive titanium mountain bike. He’s also just ridden the Munda Biddi Trail in south western Western Australia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The high tech wizardry of Peter’s bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salt clay pans
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salt tolerant, drought tolerant succulent plant
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eye catching patch of woodland. Beautiful colours here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More of those magnificent gums
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today’s big truck photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Norseman
Heart 0 Comment 0
The unusually strong mobile phone reception explained.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joel easily outpacing the truck into town
Heart 0 Comment 0
The monumentally long Eyre Highway seems to end with a whimper at this T junction in Norseman.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Massively long ore train. Seemed to roll for well over a kilometre.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 103 km (64 miles)
Total: 3,073 km (1,908 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0