Just another hazy day in paradise - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2021

Just another hazy day in paradise

Coeur D'Alene Trail - take 3

Today started off with a bang when we left at 8 am, heading to Coeue D'Alene to do some grocery shopping. There are small markets in Plummer and Saint Maries, but we wanted cheaper prices along with a better selection.

We made it back to the trailer by 10:30 where it took us awhile to find places to stash everything. We've got a fairly large frig and freezer but it's still not as large as the one at home, so it's hard not to get carried away when things are on sale. 

Once that chore was done, we ate lunch and got dressed for a bike ride which would be on another section of the trail. Today we drove north of Harrison to the trailhead we stopped at yesterday. 

It was pretty hazy out with a slight smoke smell and much warmer since it was now afternoon. 

This section of the trail took us along the Coeur D'Alene River and several small lakes and fields. Don saw some quail cross the path, but by the time I had the camera out, they had scurried into the bushes. 

He also saw a moose cross ahead of us, but again, by the time we got closer, it too had gone into the bushes. I took a picture, but I think it was more of a butt!

Except for a Great Blue Heron and a few mallards, we saw no other waterfowl. Don thought that they might have migrated south?

But we did see some moose again in a swampy area, grazing on the grasses -a cow and her calf. I don't think we've seen so many moose in one area, but it's neat!

There were plenty of cyclists out, including one supported group that had a sag vehicle along another person riding with them. We also saw a guy that was fully loaded pass us heading south. I would have loved to hear his story. 

Finally we reached the next turnaround point and returned back to the truck. We've enjoyed doing this trail as a section at a time since the views have all been different, but it now takes us longer to drive north to the next start. 

By the time we got back home, it was 5 pm and we were ready for dinner. At least the smoke had dissapated somewhat so we could sit outside and enjoy the evening.

Here's a green tunnel for Kelly!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This rooster sure didn't know how to "Share the Road"! I don't know where he came from but he was a long way from any farms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're starting to see a little fall color here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Coeur D'Alene River. There was a little boat traffic on it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ahhhhh - another momma and her baby!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauI sure hope I get to see a moose when I get up that way.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Gregory GarceauYeah, it's amazing how many we've seen!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 945 miles (1,521 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0