Getting ready to take off - Scaling the Alps to the Italian Lakes - Tally Gals - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2023

Getting ready to take off

The packing is almost done, we’ve checked off almost everything on our packing list, and we are stepping on the planes later today. We are going on a 6 week European cycling adventure that will take us through Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and Germany. Three of us are going for the entire six weeks and others are going for parts of the trip. All in all there are 8 of us, 6 tally gals plus two husbands.

We are so looking forward to this adventure but a little intimidated by the altitude we may have to climb in Switzerland. We have rented e-bikes so fingers crossed us Florida gals will be able to do it with a little boost from our pedal assist. We have trained 4-5 days a week and have put in a lot of time on hills but here in florida we can’t ride the kinds of elevation we will see in Switzerland.

In Switzerland we will ride from lake to lake to lake and over some significant for us elevation. That week starts off in Vevey on Lake Geneva and concludes in Lucerne. Then we will be off to Innsbruck Austria where we will head south through the Alps to Italy and Lake Garda. Next we will spend a week at Lake Garda doing out and back rides to explore the vicinity. After that we head to Venice for a few days and then off to Germany for a bike and barge cruise down the Mosel and the Saar rivers. 

All ready to go!
Heart 4 Comment 0
The four of us are ready for the first leg of our trip
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0


Some of us bought super light bags and packed minimally so we can handle our luggage more efficiently. The bags don’t have a traditional roller board but have four wheels and you guide them along with a strap. We will see how well they work.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Live music at the Atlanta airport
Heart 3 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Laurie KoburgerWishing for fabulous adventures for my peeps!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jane FletcherThanks Laurie, we will really miss you.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lynn WalkerHave fun and make more memories Mom (Jane Mann) and Jim (Jim Mann)!!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago