Moving on…. - Scaling the Alps to the Italian Lakes - Tally Gals - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2023

Moving on….

Today we said good bye to two of our Tally Gals who took of for Milan and then back to the US. The rest of us flew to Frankfurt where we met up with another Tally Gal as we get ready for the next phase of our biking adventure!

Goodbye Murano! We really enjoyed our time there but it’s time to move on.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Frankfurt is an old city that feels like a new city. It was heavily bombed by the allies in WWII and the old town was almost completely destroyed. After the war Frankfurt decided to recreate some of the medieval buildings of the old town so the Römer Platz still has vestiges of the old city surrounded by new buildings.

The Römer which was the city hall. The original building dated back to 1405. The new building is still used today for the offices of the mayor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Römerberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another side of the Römer platz
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings surrounding Römer Platz
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Roman goddess of Justice with her scales and sword
Heart 0 Comment 0

Frankfurt is also home to a cathedral the largest church in the city. It is a huge contrast to the San Marcos Basilica. This cathedral is much plainer on the inside clean lines with some artwork but not the volume of st Marks basilica.

Frankfurt’s Cathedral Dom St. Bartholomäu
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clean lines, not much gold to be seen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much of Frankfurt and particularly the old town was pretty much decimated during WWII by the allied bombings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An archeological site that was discovered as a result of the bombigste in the war. The site has remains from the Roman era through the early Middle Ages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Because so much of it was destroyed Frankfurt is a very modern city with lots of glass skyscrapers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head for the Mosel river.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0