Windmills, tulips, brick streets, bright skies and wooden shoes - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2019

Windmills, tulips, brick streets, bright skies and wooden shoes

Winding rides through forests and dunes. Shining ocean and sandy beaches. Brick paved streets and thatched roofs. Lots of windmills turning in the wind. Picturesque small Villages. Lunch on the town square. Wonderfully detailed buildings topped with stars and crowns. Leaded windows, wrought  iron insets, and sculptures abound. Bring your change for the pottie or be prepared to buy a cookie. Pastries, cream puffs and cookies. Busy city streets with bikers, walkers, and cars. 16 bikes in a row trying not to lose sight of the yellow pannier in front of you!  Diets blown all day long. So much wonderful food.  Traveling on the water for the first time through locks, counter weight bridges and swing bridges. We feel very lucky to be here.

Typical small village that we rode through with brick paved streets.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Dunes along the shore go back quite far from the beach.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The town’s central mill where the farmers would bring their grain to mill into flour.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Some interesting buildings adjacent to our dock.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Windmill
Heart 5 Comment 0
North Sea Beach and dunes
Heart 5 Comment 0
Eating pastries so we could use the potty
Heart 5 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerDo I see a trend of buying food or drink to use potty?

Interesting
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The pastry shop a wonderland of decadence
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another windmill, this one was at a place that hundreds of years ago was the industrial area of holland and at one time they had about 12 windmills. Now there are 7 working windmills that are used to grind grain, stones for paint, wood, and other things.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Glorious tulip fields. We were able to get closer to them today
Heart 6 Comment 1
Through the forest. This was the first time we saw large trees.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tree lined street
Heart 2 Comment 0
Interesting buildings in Alkmaar
Heart 4 Comment 0
The bridge lifting so we could go into the lock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The weighing building. Alkmaar has been a cheese market town for hundreds of years and this weights building where the cheese was weighed was the center of that trade.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 1,594 miles (2,565 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Sandy OsteenSo pretty and fascinating. What a sacrifice to have to eat pastries to use the potty. What fun!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Renee KeverJane I have really enjoyed following your trip through this blog. Great idea! Looks like you all are having an amazing time.

Be safe, have fun, and try to stay dry.

~Kever
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jane FletcherTo Renee KeverWe are having a great time and are seeing so much! Thanks!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jane FletcherTo Sandy OsteenIt was a real sacrifice!😀😀😀
Reply to this comment
4 years ago