Flower Power - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2019

Flower Power

Haarlem to Leiden via Keukenhof

Tip of the Day: rain gear also worn over bike layers and down vest for warmth.

Highlight of the Day: a visit to Keukenhof, an amazing garden open for only 2 months a year. 

Winding through the tulip fields with a few remaining rows of colorful tulips we knew we were near when we ran into directed parking, large buses and rows of locked bicycles. Once through the gates we were greeted with every tulip imaginable, serene park like blankets of tulips under a lush canopy of trees. To say it as awe inspiring is to understate the beauty and experience. One day is not enough as they are well aware since tickets are valid for the season. 

Open March 21 through May 19
Heart 1 Comment 0
This year’s theme: Flower Power
Heart 4 Comment 0
Welcome back to the 60s and 70s
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tye Dye, macrame, psychedelic paintings and Hair posters.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Azaleas, a little touch of home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bohemian Rhapsody on the calliope. Yes, really.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Before heading  to our Hotelboot, a quick stop at a few historical sites. First stop, the place Rembrandt was born followed by the first fort in Leiden dating back to 900 AD. well and secret passages included.

There are 2 kinds of windmills in Holland. This one the whole house moves into the wind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Statue commemorating Rembrandt’s birth place.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Where Rembrandt took his first drawing lesson. Now a part of a college campus.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stairway to the De Burgcht (castle)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inside De Burgcht.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gothic Cathedral that was only partially finished in that style.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 1,560 miles (2,511 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Sandy OsteenHow cool, all of it. Love the 60’s/70’s theme, brings back memories. Loved the cathedral, but I could not live in the windmill house with my vertigo, I wouldn’t know if it was me or the house moving!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Joanna Southerland sSo lovely. It has to be amazing!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago