Take High Road or Low Road - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2019

Take High Road or Low Road

Another cold Rainy Day

Hint of the Day: plan on using cash. Lots of places only take cash: cafes, shuttles, restaurants, train tickets from machines. Be sure to get a PIN number for any cards you want to use here to get cash, even from a bank.

If you are riding the train on the weekend or using small town train stations you will have to buy your ticket from a machine, no people on duty. Make sure you have cash, the machine only takes European chip and pin credit cards.

Ebikes  do not solve all riding challenges, at least ones without a throttle. Early in the ride we met our first steep ascent, 500 feet up in a little over a mile. Two of us made it to the top riding. Three walked. Two decided to return to the town we’d just passed and take the train. In all fairness one of the bikes was not functioning on full power and it was 41 degrees  and raining. Regarding the ebikes, they have Bosch mid drive motors and batteries with 8 internal gears and caliper brakes. By the end of today the 3 of us who rode were able to figure out what combination of power level to use with what gear for what incline. No pedal no forward movement.

A few pictures from the ride today. Lots of green meadows and undulating hills.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The elevation from our ride today. The first spike was our really big hill....
Heart 4 Comment 0

May, too early or just right? May is the low (off) season. Here in Zell am See only a few restaurants, shops and cafes are open. Great if you like a less touristy experience. If you want the buzz of crowds come either for the winter sport season or come later for the summer season. Check out what opens when to make your decision. There’s lots of hiking and mountain biking in the summer with multiple opening days. Some mountain bike trails don’t open until early July.

When it’s cold and rainy hot chocolate hits the spot.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Traveling with meds. Last night we didn’t bother asking the hotel if they could freeze our gel packs for our medications that needed refrigeration. We simply put the cooler on the balcony outside our room. They were still frozen solid this morning. We plan to use the same method tonight. So far all the hotels, including our barge the Swann, have been very accommodating. We purchased this really nifty cooler with built in straps for attaching to the rear rack. It works like a charm. I’m not telling my husband, he’ll want it.

The cooler straps on to the bike really well and has worked like a charm.
Heart 1 Comment 0

While searching for an open restaurant we saw a few sites in Zell am See.

Town tower built about 1000. The oldest building in town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 1 Comment 0
The town castle. Now town hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of our hotel
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 1,327 miles (2,136 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Sandy OsteenThat was a very steep climb, i got tired just looking at it. The hit chocolate was well deserved, and looked delicious.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago