Second Winter - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2019

Second Winter

Top of the Alps - Kitzsteinhorn

Tip of the day: Bring winter clothes for the Alps in May! Layers, Layers and more Layers!

Off to Kaprun on the bus to go to the top of the Kitzsteinhorn mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the bus stop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh, look, the sun is shining on the mountains, get a picture quick before it goes back under the clouds.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the way to Kaprun.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Minus 7 degrees and freezing. Another winter wonderland awaited us as we rode a series of cable cars to the top of Kitzsteinhorn a mountain National Park and ski area. 

Our first cable car of 3 to get to the top of the Kitzsteinhorn mountain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from the cable car as we climbed into the snow zone.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Approaching the winter wonderland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The winter wonderland below.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There was a winter wonderland awaiting us when we got off the first cable car.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The second lift we took to get up the mountain. This one was an open chair lift. Brrrrr was it cold! Temp at the top, -7 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We made it to the top! 9,940 feet and lots of ear popping to get there. It was snowing and unfortunately there was no visibility so we couldn’t see the surrounding mountains.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We did not ski but walked down a long tunnel to an observation platform that hangs out over the mountain. Snow surrounded us and climbed the walls on either side of the observation point. But it was still a neat experience. Along the way displays explained the history of mining crystals, emeralds, gold and silver. A display showing the temperatures of the permafrost at different depths talked about their cooperation in charting the affects of global warming.  A great educational field trip.

We walked through a tunnel in the mountain to get to a viewing platform. The tunnel was an exhibit by the national park. Icicles in the tunnel to the viewing platform
Heart 1 Comment 0
The viewing platform at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, it was snowing and visibility was 0....
Heart 1 Comment 0
Snow up the sides of the glass windows onto the side of the viewing platform. The window was covered by a drift of snow.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The sun! The sun! We saw the sun for a moment while we were eating lunch at the top of the mountain!!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ready to go back down the mountain in the Gletcherbahn.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down to the cable car station on the way back down the mountain!
Heart 2 Comment 0

They translated the weather pattern that moved in as “second winter” much like we have Indian Summer in the fall. It’s not too late. Ski and snowboarding season is open until June 2nd and will close for only about one month. But fear not, mountain biking, climbing and hiking season begins. They have some serious mountain bike rides here. I’m bring the bike maps home if you want to check them out. Road riders and tri folks there are routes and events for you as well. This is certainly an outdoor Mecca. 

On the bus ride back to Zell am See we ran into some escapees.

The escapees were blocking the road. “Milch Kuhe in die Straße” as our bus driver was radioing in
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Sandy OsteenThat looks like so much fun. Can you imagine making a tunnel through the mountain? Too bad the visibility was 0, but it still looks amazing.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Lynn WalkerToo bad you couldn’t see at the top of the mountain.

I know y’all are having an amazing time!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
barbel MannYou are real tough! I admire your courage and energy and I wish you lots of sunny days during the last weeks of your trip - as reward .-)) The weather report promises us warmer temperatures. In Berlin we are HAPPY that its raining after weeks of dryness. Take care!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago