Sunny day, perfect temperatures! - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2019

Sunny day, perfect temperatures!

One more day to Vienna

A perfect day to be riding along the Danube.  Blue sky, sunshine, charming places to stop and eat and a beautiful sunset across the river. 

Leaving Krems this morning showing off our “team” jerseys designed by one of our very own!
Heart 4 Comment 0
We stopped at a bike shop on the way out of Krems this morning. Just outside they had a vending machine that would dispense bike tubes for 8 euros each.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerCool concept!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Drink and WC stop which was also a great little place right along the Danube. Now that it is warmer and the weather is better these little places along the path are more likely to be open.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lunch stop today right along the Danube. Great food, great view, and great company.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our view of the Danube at lunch. It was a great place for people watching. Lots of cyclists coming and going, a 60th anniversary celebration, and people out just enjoying the beautiful day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Huge poppies in the restaurant’s garden.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The sun was warm and the breeze was cool, perfect for cycling. We had a first today, we rode through several “fluff” storms! It looked almost like snow but it was fluff from aspen trees. There was so much of it it even collected on the ground along the road.

The “fluff” from the aspen trees got so thick floating through the air that it looked like snow at times. You had to be sure your mouth was closed or else ..... yuck!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today we had a detour on the Donauradweg (the bike trail we have been following all the way from Passau). The detour was amazingly well signposted!

We came to the first detour sign and they had a map posted with the new route. Luckily they didn’t expect riders to know where to go based on the map. Each turn was well marked. Otherwise, who knows where we would have ended up...
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The ice cream or Eis is wonderful!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerReminds me of TCBY yogurt.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The May pole and tree in Tullin
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Niebelungen monument in Tullin.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tullin is known for its flowers. Iris in the park along the Danube.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sunset over the Danube.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

No doubt you are wondering how the “well used” bikes we bought in Amsterdam are holding up after more than a month of riding. Mostly, we’ve learned to accommodate their idiosyncrasies. Seats that point up, front brake levers that need to be pushed out manually to release, gears that take time to switch, fender struts that come loose and need reinserted or taped, a handle bar that doesn’t quite face forward, a tire with a peeling sidewall (seems to be only the logo) and it has fortunately stopped pealing, and a couple of front ends that are creaking. But all in all they are rolling along fine. 

But personally, I was envious today as a number of carbon road bikes flew by me. What speed, what joy to be flying along the Danube.  Well it was still a joy even if we weren’t flying along.

Our route today.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 1,067 miles (1,717 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Sandy OsteenGlad you had another beautiful day. On to the next adventure! Vienna awaits!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Lynn WalkerSo many sights, thanks to the photographers!

Glad y’all are having a fun and memorable trip.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago