Flat is Flat - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2019

Flat is Flat

Except for some ups to cross bridges

Another beautiful day along the Danube starting with a visit to “The Garden Tulln” and Ending in Vienna. 

Bike cage- we have been lucky that all of our hotels have had pretty secure places for us to leave our bikes. One less thing to worry about.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We finally saw a tree laden with the fluff we have been riding through for the last few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Garden Tulln was organic and provided lots of ideas of what to do in different situations, like urban gardens vs backyard.  There was a lot of variety in colors and textures, lots of creativity in arrangements of outdoor garden “rooms”.

One of the purposes was to educate people on native species and how to grow organic ornamental and vegetable gardens. There were cool raised bed ideas, a natural swimming pool with accompanying sauna, Lots of tucked away tables, chairs and resting/ relaxation areas.

Heart 1 Comment 0
While we were waiting for the garden to open, this rock with hollowed out butt impressions beckoned to us.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The butt imprint rock was too hard to resist and it was actually really comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dr Seuss’ tree is growing in the garden!!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
And 10 birds have found a permanent home in its branches.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They have a huge structure to get tree top views across the garden and across the city. 200+ steps up and down.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hidden among the leaves and iron are two of our adventurers!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
They had several ideas for raised beds. This one was particularly nice because you could reach half way across it to tend it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The garden had lots of whimsical areas.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
There was a mosaic made out of lots of individual tiles. A few examples.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerUgh! I can commiserate.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

After the garden it was back to the Donauradweg, for our last ride along the Danube. It doesn’t seem like the third tour can possibly be over.

There are lots of swans along the Danube but we never really were close enough to get a good picture of them until today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So... you may have thought dinosaurs went extinct during the last ice age, however, they seem to be roaming the woods near Vienna....
Heart 3 Comment 0
This sign tells us that a power plant and locks are ahead. Many of the times we crossed the river it was on a bridge attached to a power plant with water thundering down generating electricity.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before we rode in to Vienna we rode down a long skinny island between the Danube and the new  Danube. The entire island is a park with cyclists and families on bikes enjoying the day. People barbecuing and enjoying the great day.  Lots and lots of people on bikes. There were always bikes up and bikes back.

Our route today
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got to our hotel after negotiating city streets and a spiral hill up to a tall bridge and a spiral hill down from the bridge on the other side. Luckily most of the route in the city was on a designated bike lane. The drivers here are much more used to cyclists being on the road or on a separate bike lane.

After checking in to our hotel we walked into the old center of Vienna and visited St Stephens cathedral.

St Stephan’s, it’s hard to get a good picture because you can’t get back far enough from it. Too many buildings around it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerThe architecture is amazing!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way back to the hotel we noticed this bike work station with tools etc. earlier we also saw another bike tube vending machine.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow we spend the day in Vienna stay tuned for more adventures!

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 1,036 miles (1,667 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Sandy OsteenLoved the garden and St Stephens looks spectacular. Looks like the weather is finally cooperating. On to the next adventure!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago