Ljubljana To Postojna. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2023

Ljubljana To Postojna.

I sure do wish we could acquire European train miles like we get Air Miles on this trip because we're sure racking them up at this rate.  

Today was another day of a 98% chance of rain, lightening and thunderstorms, and much to our dismay, the forecast was correct once again.  We woke, looked hopefully outside, and soon realized it was going to be another leg of our trip spent ka-chunking down train tracks; watching the green Slovenian landscape pass by looking out through a train window.  Sure, we could have rode our bikes, but I already said this was also supposed to be a holiday; and aren't holidays mostly meant to be pleasurable? We're either getting softer or smarter as we age, I guess?

The poor weather actually turned out in our favor.  One of the reasons that we routed ourselves through Postojna for this tour was to visit the phenomenal Postojna Cave system.   So, we arrived with plenty of time to explore this incredible natural phenomenon.

We were totally unaware of this cave before planning this trip, and we discovered that this is one of the longest cave systems in Europe.  It is 24 km long, only 5 km is open to the public. Of this, 3.5 km is traversed by a train that takes visitors through the cave; the remaining 1.5 km can be navigated on foot and with a guide. The whole tour takes about 1.5 hours.  And, it was incredible.

Thank goodness for the reliable Slovenian train system.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Photos cannot come close to capturing this experience.  It cannot capture the coolness of the cave, the dampness, the dank smell like an old cathedral, the textures and sheen of stalactites and stalagmites, the cold drips of water falling onto your head, and the sheer size of this place. But, here are a few.  Some of the 'rooms' we entered where the size of a large concert hall.  

Just getting on the underground train.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 5
Scott AndersonYour photos did well enough, Patrick. This looks amazing.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott. It was an impressive place. Didn't you both visit here on your way through Slovenia?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraNope. We were within a very hilly day’s ride, but not there.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo ann and steve maher-wearyHi Ann and Steve. It was mind-blowing, actually. Can't imagine a better cave experience anywhere.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
If you look closely there are people in the photo, lower right.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Those are people above walking across a bridge!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nearing the end of the tour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Always a good sign. The weather seems to be taking a turn for the better for tomorrow's ride to Trieste.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rachael AndersonWhat an amazing place!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Hannah LeePattern and texture overload. What a cool detour.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Hannah LeeHi Hannah. It really was!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachael. It was mine blowing how large this place was. We're glad we visited.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Suzanne GibsonGreat detour! We have been reading about the catastrophic flooding in some parts of Slovenia. Taking trains right now is a smart move.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Suzanne GibsonHi Susan. You're right. The weather has been pretty awful for riding the past few days. Trains are a good idea. But, today was amazing.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago